Sign in to follow this  
Masshole Mike

Okuma swimbait rods

been looking into getting a swimbait rod to throw baits like the mattlures bluegill and baby bass, ms slammer, etc. the tackletour review for the okuma big bait rods highly recommends them, especially for their low price, but i was just wondering what comments people have on these rods before i go and purchase one sight-unseen.

i'm looking at the 7'6" heavy (has to fit in my car still, not sure the 7'11" will!) anyone that owns one want to throw their .02 cents in? thanks guys!

also, anyone know of any websites offering reduced prices on these rods? ebay?

Mike, I dont own one but have been looking at them for quite a while.

Matt from Mattlures recommends them, and I think that is a pretty good endorsement.

I understand that there are better sticks out there, but for the price this line of rods is hard to beat.

TW is probably your best resource for them, due to the free shipping.

I have the MH for the small and meduim sb's. Its a great rod. It's 7'11" and still fits into my tiny car.

IMG_2117.jpg

Can't really compare to others as I'm still new to the big bait game, but overall I think its a decent starter rod.

Mike, I dont own one but have been looking at them for quite a while.

Matt from Mattlures recommends them, and I think that is a pretty good endorsement.

I understand that there are better sticks out there, but for the price this line of rods is hard to beat.

TW is probably your best resource for them, due to the free shipping.

that was one of the reasons i was looking at the okuma's, i read on matt's site that's what he recommends and uses them. and like you said, there are better sticks out there but these seem to be almost unbeatable for the price.

slomoe, what reel is that you've got paired with the 7'11"?

Its a revo inshore. I wanted to be able to use it in the salt but I think I need to upgrade to something with a little more line capacity.

That's what Fish Chris has, so if you're after bigger fish than

those dinks he catches, you might want something heavier!

::)

They're great rods for the price. If I only had $100 to spend on a swimbait rod, it's the only rod I would consider. I do however find them a bit on the heavy side, especially compared to the $200 swimbait rods.

Matt is sponsored by Okuma, so he has to endorse them ;D

I order EVERYTHING from ***, and their free shipping can't be beat! You also will get a free shirt, and if you want, a TW sweatshirt for only $10.

I have a 7'11" XH and I love it! I had to send it because the tip guide broke, but I am dying without it. I have used everything on it from Hudds to Baitsmiths. Even though a light rod would be nicer for Baitsmiths and other small swimbaits, I think this rod is fine since it can handle heavy and light swimbaits. I have it paired up with a Shimano Cardiff 400, which is a great reel. Awesome combo, awesome price. Be careful though, swimbait buying is very addicting.

If you can, buy the 7'11.  The split grip and pistol at the end makes for very easy casting.

Matt is sponsored by Okuma, so he has to endorse them ;D

That's what I was going to say...he is an Okuma Pro-staffer.  Doesn't mean the rods aren't a good buy...but it definitely means something  :)

i have the 7ft6 heavy its a good stick for the price ,,,, however you may wanna look at the dobyans 795 ,,, its a little more money but i hear its a great stick for the smaller stuff ,,, its 7ft9 med-hev Mike Long helped design it ...

i have the 7ft6 heavy its a good stick for the price ,,,, however you may wanna look at the dobyans 795 ,,, its a little more money but i hear its a great stick for the smaller stuff ,,, its 7ft9 med-hev Mike Long helped design it ...

The 795 is an AWESOME Stick if you're in the $200 price range. It's my next swimbait rod for sure, I have 2 Dobyns 806's, I can throw 2oz baits up to much heavier baits.

Dobyns rods are also VERY light, I've had 2 different guys with Okuma swimbait rods hold my 806 and first word out of their mouths were, " Wow, it's light" .

Good thread Mike! I am considering the 7'6 H Okuma w/a Cardiff 300. It's rated form 1-6 oz the guys asking $140 seems like a good buy. The other SB rods I've had in the past have been 8' but, wondering if the 7'6" will be to stiff for the smaller SB in the 1-2oz class like Matt lures and the 6" Hudds?

$140?! heck, if you don't scoop up that deal, gimme a contact number and i will!

and i understand matt's an okuma rep, but i've gotta imagine there's a reason he uses those rods (other than being sponsored by them). judging by the quality of his own products, i can't imagine he'd endorse anything he doesn't feel to be a quality product.

plus with the excellent review these rods got on tackle tour and all the positive replies here, i think i'm pretty much sold on one.

next order of business... anyone got an okuma swimbait rod they'd wanna get rid of?! 8-)

$140?! heck, if you don't scoop up that deal, gimme a contact number and i will!

next order of business... anyone got an okuma swimbait rod they'd wanna get rid of?! 8-)

I got  set-up I'll sell ya for $180 ;D ;D

I got set-up I'll sell ya for $180 ;D ;D

make it $200 and it's a deal! ;D