Sign in to follow this  
ManInBlack

Newbie Needs Help With Rod/Reel Choice

Hello all. I'm a newbie to the forum here and need some advice on what rod & reel I should purchase. I've used a spinning reel for pretty much my whole life and am now ready to get a baitcast reel. I've been looking at the Shimano Curado D Series reels and really like what I've read on them. I will pretty much be using my rod & reel setup for just bass fishing. What model of the Curado would be best for my purposes? Also, what rod would be a good balance with the Curado? I'll be using my setup with a wide assortment of lures such as spinners, crankbaits, plastic worms and topwater lures. I'd like to spend somewhere in the $350 range for my setup. Suggestions??

Thanks in advance for any advice and it's great to be here!

Welcome aboard!

Great deals pop up on our Flea Market all of the time, so that's where I would look for both the rod and reel. If you want a new rod, I would recommend the St. Croix Avid AVC70MF:

http://www.reedssports.com/Product/product.taf?_function=detail&_ID=13260

The new Curado will be introduced shortly, so you might want to wait. Otherwise, the current models will be dramatically discounted shortly.

There are currently a few for sale in the Flea Market.

Good luck!

8-)

The new ones are lighter......and greener.  They'd look really nice on green GLX (BCRs) and should perform very well.  BCRs are also on the Flea Market once in a while....

I'd wait but it that is easier said than done.....

Preview of new Curado:

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewcuradociticapreview09.html

Shimano crucial or a powell from tackle warewhouse i've never heard anything bad about powell or dobyns nither the crucial and should all go well with your curado 7' mh mod fast action

The St. Croix premier and Avids are great choices and so is the Legend Tournament if you want to spend the extra cash.

If I could only have one of my baitcasting rigs it would be my G Loomis MBR783C IMX and Curado 100D.  I can throw almost anything in my tacklebox with this combo.

You could probably find this combo for $350 or less.

Note: This is a 6'6" rod because I bank fish most of the time and find the shorter rod a little easier to deal with.

Thanks for the advice guys.  Does anyone here use the Shimano Curado CU-200DHSV?  If so, what are the pros and cons with this reel?  I'm really interested in it and it looks like I can get one for $149.  Is that a decent price?

Thanks for the advice guys. Does anyone here use the Shimano Curado CU-200DHSV? If so, what are the pros and cons with this reel? I'm really interested in it and it looks like I can get one for $149. Is that a decent price?

I have the left handed version of this reel and can vouch that it is a solid reel in terms of features and performance. However, those who are weight weenies will note how heavy the reel is and therefore it is not worth it. I must say that they do have a point. The darn thing is nearly 10 oz.

Pros

Great Features

Clicking Drag Star

Dartanium Drag

HE gearing

Excellent caster of even lighter weight

30" line recovery rate

Cons

Weight

Weight

Bulky - if you don't need the line capacity and will primarily fish for bass, the 100D is the lighter and wiser choice, unless you need the higher line recovery rate.

Weight

Weight ;D

Mine also battles salmon and hence the need for the 200 size. So other than its hefty weight, the reel is flawless.

With all that said, I would wait for the newer curado E. It will superior in just about about every category and would IMHO be worth the weight (pun  ;D) I mean wait. The 200E will actually be smaller than a 100 but have the line capacity of a 200 and be over 2 oz. lighter.

The link below is a link to the TT Review of the 200DHSV

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimanocurado200dhsv.html