Sign in to follow this  
st00pid

not happy with casting distance with new set up

I mean my ol school zebco 33 will go just as far.

New pflueger supreme 8035 , new berkley lighing rod medium heavy, new 10 pound yo-zuri hybrid.

I didnt use any conditioners or anything but heck my zebco has had the same string on it since for two years. has never been cleaned or lubed.

Looking for suggestions as to what todo. When i strung the spool i did the old run it thru a book for some tension(sp). It has some twist in the line but nothing bad. Could i have it to tight? I didnt think i had that much tension on the line.  Should i re spool? or what ?

Thanks guys With this site ive been actually catching more bass. Instead of what ever bites the lure.

You will recieve many suggestions so here are mine:

1.  Balance your reel and bait. Point the rod tip to 11 o'clock and let the bait drop.  The bait is balanced when the spool does not backlash when the bait hits the floor. The bait will drop in a slow manner. Be sure to have your drag set, too.

2.  Check your drag.  Make sure you can pull it off the spool with about 2.5 pounds of pressure, or any power you need that you feel comfortable.

Then, rebalance the reel with the drag set as you wish.

3.  Reel the lure to about 6 inches from the rod tip and fling it with a snap of your wrist.  Bring it back behind your head if necessary.

4.  Loosen the spool to try to get more distance without causing any backlashes. Be careful but you can do this easily to get a little more distance.

5.  Spray some KVD Lure and Line Conditioner (or other product) on the line on the spool to help lubricate it. Try spraying some of the liquid on your rod's guides, too.

6.  What length is your fishing rod?  The longer the better for longer casts.

Now, with all that said, stay tuned for more exciting suggestions from the gang.  :)

Good luck with the set-up and casting distance.

I think you're talking about a spinning setup, correct? Can you give details of your old setup and new setup?

You've got a medium heavy rod so unless you're casting like 1/8 oz. lures it should cast a good distance. Did the older rod have a stiff tip or a really whippy one?

A rod with a whippy tip will cast lighter lures better. But if you're throwing some like a Senko, you should be able to throw that thing without a problem.

i went and tried your 11 aclock theory and with the anti reverse off it wont fall even with the drag let all the way out.  that is with a 1/2 oz lure. the rod is only 6' but the ol zebco was 5'6. medium action rod.

Yes it spinning. or are you talking open the face let the bait go and set the drag. I guess im kinda stupid when it comes to this.

Spinning?  You are having a casting problem with a spinning setup?  

my mistake.  

I know of no one who has a casting problem with a spinning reel.

It must be the reel.

Or is the reel like a Zebco?  If so, then yes, you will have a casting problem.

Maybe the rod is too short? Or too stiff?

Hey guys, this member needs our help.

Help!!!!   :)

i went and tried your 11 aclock theory and with the anti reverse off it wont fall even with the drag let all the way out. that is with a 1/2 oz lure. the rod is only 6' but the ol zebco was 5'6. medium action rod.

Yes it spinning. or are you talking open the face let the bait go and set the drag. I guess im kinda stupid when it comes to this.

Anti-reverse setting or drag setting won't affect casting distance. Casting with a spinning outfit is not mechanical. You bring your rod back, then bring it forward and the weight of the lure pulls line off the spool.

I don't know that much about the Zebco 33, but is there a reason that the spinning outfit should cast farther than the 33?

like i said its a pflueger supreme just got it. With the 1/2 oz itll prob go id say 50 feet. maybe its just me. But im a bank guy no boat so i wanna get out as deep as i can before i begin my retrieve. I just re strung it just to make sure it has anuf and not to little. Ive had spinning reels in the past and dont think ive ever had a problem. But that was years ago. The reel is as smooth as can be on retrieval. It makes a little noise on the cast tho. Dont know if this is normal or not.

I would hope a 150 dollar set up would out cast a 14 dollar wal-mart special haha.

You shouldn't be too concerned. Unless both reels have the line on it, no comparison you make is going to be fair.

The line you bought, isn't going to give you the best castibility at 10# test on a spinning reel to boot.

Also, you will need to learn how to properly load the rod during the cast to maximize casting distance. If you are hearing the rod whiff by your ear (on an overhand cast) too quickly, that is usually a sign that the rod was not properly loaded by the weight of the lure.

I am inclined that you believe that you know how to cast a spinning set up so I will place my bet that it is the line that is the culprit. If the line on the Zebco is thinner in diameter that the one on your spinning reel, this will probably be the reason.

I have 12# yozuri on my casting reel and IMHO it yields fair casting distance but I know of other 12# lines that outperform it in the casting department. It does not detract from the rest of its awesome traits and it is a keeper in my arsenal.

Thats what its boiling down to I belive as well. The line that is. Only reason i picked some up was A its cheap B people on here raved about it so i figured id try it out. Im going to some on my zebco and see how it fairs.

I also think im gunna try some performance braid on the spinning. Now ive read you cant just put it straight on you have to have some kind of backing. Does it have to be the same thickness? or can i just use the 10# i got and use a blood knot to get them together. Since most braids have a 10#test is a smaller and i would assume lighter line correct?

Fortunately, the lines don't have to be the same strength. However, if you will need to find the right knot if the line diameters are significantly different.

Some knots for joining lines are better suited for lines that are approximately the same diameter and other knots are suited for lines whose diameters are significantly different.

You will only need about 10 yards of mono or whatever non braided line to prevent the braid from slipping.  If you are primarily bass fishing, you can get away with say filling the bottom half or third of the spool with mono and then fill the rest with braid.

For example, my reel with braid is filled mostly with mono with the last 50 yards with the braid. This will allow me to use up all of the braid which would have otherwise spend all of its life on the spool and never seeing any action. Overtime the volume of the braid diminishes with every cut off and retie to the point that the spool is no longer at optimum capacity.  Line recovery and castibility are both affected and as mentioned, that braid at the bottom won't get used.

With a large mono backing with braid in the top, the spool stays near capacity even when the braid is low and then I just add the next 50 yards of line on top. The typical 150 yd. filler spool allows me to do this 3 times.

Keep in mind this is for bass fishing or targetting lesser, smaller species. I would never do this when I battle salmon or steelhead. Last year a brutish chum salmon fought me for 22 minutes before he spooled my curado 201DHSV that was filled to optimum capacity. :'( I tipped my hat as a sign of respect.

you can also run some eltrical tape around the bare spool 1st ... then just tie the braid direct to the taped spool ... this will help with any slipage .... i believe its easier than tryin to explan the uni to uni knot or blood knot .... just strip the spool of all line ,,, then tape the spool where the line goes on .... go around the spool 15-20 times so the tape is thick in there .... then tie the braid direct and spool er up ... :)

i went and tried your 11 aclock theory and with the anti reverse off it wont fall even with the drag let all the way out.  that is with a 1/2 oz lure. the rod is only 6' but the ol zebco was 5'6. medium action rod.

This may sound like a stupid question, and don't be offended by it, but, are you opening the bail before you cast it out?

If so, are your casts going very high, like a popup in the infield. That could be caused by releasing the line early. That was the main problem I had when I first went to an open face reel.

Distance problems with an open face spinning outfit, with a person who knows how to cast (as you state, your zebco does well so you know how to cast) have to be related to the line (I assume your rod is designed specifically for open faced spinning reels-I've seen guys put spinning reels on casting rods and the even fish with the reel on top and reel backwards-that doesn't work-balance is way off and guides are too small).

The most common problems are too little line and too heavy line.  I know that I just cannot make a line as heavy as 10 pound work well on an open faced spinning reel.  Try the Yozuri Ultra Soft Hybrid in 6 pound test-it is a good line for open faced spinning.  Other 6 pound monos should work well, also.

Make sure you have the spool filled to about 1/8 inch of the lip.  If it is not fully filled it will not cast well.

If you want the slickest casting I've found put 10 pound Power Pro on it.  You just won't belive how slick and trouble free it is.  

A minor issue is having lures that balance well with the power of the rod.  Too heavy overloads the rod and too light doesn't load the rod properly.  Both will result in less distance than if balanced properly.  If you have a balanced lure/rod setup, when you bring the rod back to start the cast and without pause fire it forward to complete the cast you will notice the rod bend (load) significantly and you will have a smooth, comfortable, cast.  If you have too heavy a lure the rod will bend a lot and the timing of the cast will likely make you feel like something is just wrong.  If you have too light a lure the rod will bend very little and it too will feel like something is wrong.  It will feel like you are casting with a broomstick.

Give these ideas some thought and good luck.  Practice with the Supreme, assuming you have a decent rod, will result in good casting.

Need more info on the rod..

new berkley lighing rod medium heavy,

If it is the 6' LRS601MH the lure rating is 1/4 thru 1 oz.

You shouldn't be having any problems casting any weight at all on that stick.

St00pid, don't take offense but are you sure it is a spinning rod.

The only time I have ever heard of a casting problem with spinning tackle was when the angler had the spinning reel mounted to a rod with the wrong size stripper guide (the first guide off of the reel) or a casting rod, this will cause a reduction in casting distance...

Just some thoughts from the bench...

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!

It has to be the line.  I just purchased the same reel, put some 8lb on it, and it casts wonderfully.  I am using a ML/F 7' rod though.

You have gotten plenty response and I think you'll get it casting to your liking. However, that said let me give you a warning from my personal experiance. Although I really like the lightning rod for the price, a thing to watch out for is grooves wearing into the (metal)guide on the tip. I have two, both developed grooves after about a year of use. The grooves will compromise the integrity of any line. I replaced them with a fugi tip and they are still working great.

Good fishing.

well Like i said i restrung it last night and took it out this morning. On a 1/2 oz itll go a freaking country mile. any thing under like a worm with a small weight texas rigged it would act a little finiky with. so im gunna go down to 6-8 and im sure itll be just fine.  Its solid line tho got caught a couple times with some cranks and had to break the line  >:)

Thanks guys.

yes it is a spinning rod haha