Sign in to follow this  
wapiti

Spinning Rods

I'm debating as to whether or not I should purchase a "better quality" spinning rod. I'm 17 and have been using a Kodiak Challenger KGG01SM (one piece graphite) 6'0" medium (1/4-5/8 oz) rod which was given to me as a gift a few years ago. Google hasn't yielded any results, so I have absolutely no idea what this rod is worth, or if it is considered chinsy to most members here. If anyone has any idea what these rods go for I would appreciate any info.

The rod has served me well, my only complaints are my light spinnerbaits (1/4 and 3/8) seem a bit heavy when casting and my buzzbaits more or less feel like I'm lifting rocks and make the rod tip bend. I am unsure how heavy my booyah buzzbaits are, I purchased them a year ago, and was too stupid to do any research, or much less view the weight on my product.

I usually twitch rapala x-raps, or fish light (1/4-3/8 oz) spinnerbaits. Lately, I've been experimenting with topwater/buzzbaits which are a little bit heavier and very occasionally I jig for walleye.

I'm in the market for a rod under $100, would a Shimano Compre 6'6" (3/16-5/8) Medium serve my needs? What action do most bass fishermen prefer. . . if the rod does not specify is it assumed that it has fast action? Thanks for any advice, and what are the advantages in paying that kind of money (probably doesn't seem like a lot to you) for a rod?

Thanks again,

Nate

On most occasions yes, if it doesn't specify action it is more than likely a fast action. I fish with a 7' medium/extra fast Shimano Compre for all of my spinning tackle and i am more than happy with it. I think if your budget is in the 100$ range there is not a better rod. Rods have different powers and actions for different reasons so whats right for one situation usually inst right for another.

money reflects quality in my opinion, im a firm believer in you get what you pay for. More "expensive" rods are made of higher quality components which result in the rod being more durable and more sensitive. Plus warranty is a big factor to me and the with the higher priced rods you get a good warranty incase something happens, and things to happen.

The 6'6" Shimano Compre, med, fast is a great sub-$100 rod and good for all around duty.  I've got one as the second rod on my kayak and boat.  The primary rod is a St. Croix Avid.  I'd give the Compre a try.  Hard to beat for the $ :)

I've been shown a great deal, on a Medium heavy rod, however the recommended lure weight for this rod is 3/8-1 1/4 oz.  Often I am casting 1/4 oz spinnerbaits which is under the recommendation on the Medium Heavy rod.  Is it a big deal to be under the recommended weight capacity?  

Thanks,

Nate

I recently ran across a new 6'6" MH/XF Compre spinning rod at my local Sportsman's Warehouse for $30 on clearance (it was the older, brown blank model, but I still couldn't pass it up for that price, even though I didn't need it).  I mated it with a Shimano Sahara 1000 spooled with 10lb PowerPro and I use it primarily when walking the banks and fishing from shore.  I can throw all kinds of lightweight stuff on it, usually a weightless Zoom trick worm or a 5" Senko.  I would have preferred a Medium vice the Medium-Heavy, but I'll readily admit that I've really had no trouble casting light baits and almost prefer having the stronger rod in case I tie into a big one (especially since I tend to fish around a lot of heavy cover).  In my opinion, if you can do the things you want to be able to do with the rod without damaging it, it doens't matter what the ratings are.

Ratings are guidelines designed to help narrow your search by providing a little information on the capabilities and intended specifications for the rod.

8-)

I just ordered a Shimano Compre, and am hoping it gets here before I leave Saturday for vacation.   8-)

I just ordered a Shimano Compre, and am hoping it gets here before I leave Saturday for vacation. 8-)

id say thats a good choice.

the thing that i don't get is when i start looking at Loomis rods (as i really freaking want one) they litterally have a rod for every TYPE of fishing, and i don't mean every type of FISH. I just dont understand how a rod can be specifically designed to fish oh say a Carolina Rig, or a Shaky Head.

I just think that they're really trying to get people to buy more than what they need by putting the Rig it's intended for on the rod.

I may be wrong and PLEASE correct me and inform me if I am cause i'm really curious about this.

AnglerMangler

This is all you "need":

http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishing_forums/YaBB.pl?num=1196114229

After that, it's "the perfect rod" for a specific application.

G.Loomis and most manufacturers offer "technique specific"

rods for those guys (like me) who are "collectors". Most of

it is just marketing, but it's fun having exactly the right

tool for the job.

8-)

the thing that i don't get is when i start looking at Loomis rods (as i really freaking want one) they litterally have a rod for every TYPE of fishing, and i don't mean every type of FISH. I just dont understand how a rod can be specifically designed to fish oh say a Carolina Rig, or a Shaky Head.

I just think that they're really trying to get people to buy more than what they need by putting the Rig it's intended for on the rod.

I may be wrong and PLEASE correct me and inform me if I am cause i'm really curious about this.

AnglerMangler

Take a trout ultralight rod and try to flip a 3/4 oz jig and pig in heavy cover. You will then know why or at least realize that it is better to use the right tool for the job. I used to think that way too with my "one rod for everything medium light walmart special."

I tried fishing a 1/2 jig and it really felt like the rod was going to break. Short and simple, I just couldn't work the jig like I wanted too.

Now there are good all around rods out there for the budget minded and perhaps technique specific rods are better left in the hands of those who have used those general purpose rods and then determined that they want more out of a rod for a specific technique. :)