Sign in to follow this  
neBassin

Fluoro knot

No, that's not true.

I use a Palamor knot for mono, flourocarbon and braid on all hook setups and baits, even topwaters and spinnerbaits.

Great knot and easy to tie.

:(

That's the only one I will use. Had Trilene and Improved Trilene slip even when wetting. Can not go wrong with a Palomar in my opinion.

Another palomar fan here for fluro! As the others have said, just make sure you wet the knot before cinching it down!

Fluro burns very easily when cinching the palomar down and weakens the knot if it is not wet, very wet!

KVD Line & Lure Conditioner works very well for this application also.

A lot of anglers prefer the "hangman" type of knots for fluro, the uniknot, trilene, improved clinch etc.. If you're worried about slippage, just tie a stop knot in the trailing end.

No, that's not true.

I use a Palamor knot for mono, flourocarbon and braid on all hook setups and baits, even topwaters and spinnerbaits.

Great knot and easy to tie.

:(

hit it right on the head ;D

I use the palomar for everything except spinnerbaits and large cranks. For those I use the San Diego Jam Knot.

Polamar knots are great for monofilament and braid, but it does not work well with Fluorocarbon line. I suggest using a trilene or san diego jam knot.

Aaron Martens on Fluorocarbon knots:

"Many fishermen have tried fluorocarbon line, but quickly ditched it, complaining that it's brittle and breaks easily. Martens knows the solution. Most of the breaking problems is the knot," he said. "You have to tie a San Diego Knot or some kind of cinch knot, like the Trilene Knot. A Palomar is not good because it crimps the line. It crimps on top of itself and it will break."

and here is the link where i got that quote:

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/bassmaster/columns/story?columnist=tipofthemo...

This is the knot that I use for pretty much everything (except for dropshotting). I do agree with Aaron Martens about the Palomar. IF you tie it pretty the palomar is a good knot. But alot of guys get in a hurry and have a strand of line overlap another strand. Fluorocarbon is it's own worst enemy as it will cut into itself. This fluorocarbon knot below is very easy to tie and you don't get any overlaps as easily as you do with the palomar knot.

braidknot2.jpg

Mike

I do agree with Aaron Martens about the Palomar.  IF you tie it pretty the palomar is a good knot.  But alot of guys get in a hurry and have a strand of line overlap another strand.  Fluorocarbon is it's own worst enemy as it will cut into itself.

I agree with that statement 100%.  Take your time and don't skimp on the knot.  The most important link between you and the fish of a lifetime may be resting on it.

Take your time and don't skimp on the knot. The most important link between you and the fish of a lifetime may be resting on it.

Yeah, tie the knot slowly, wet it and you should not have too many problems.