Sign in to follow this  
everythingoutdoors

Starting Out Bass Fishing

Hey I really want to start out bass fishing, and i need to know everything there is to know about equipment and even some techniques.  What rod and reel should i get, as a beginner, and what kind of bait?  Also, where can i fish for bass in Rhode Island.  Finally, even though im not ready for a new boat, what is a good boat for fishing and tubing?  As you can see i know nothing about fishing.... Thanks!

There are some good articles listed for info. and I'd take his advice and look through them......

Some suggestions- I'd start out simple- maybe get a spinning rod with a medium to medium/heavy rod..... get a reel that can hold like at least 10 lb. test line..... I have a Pflueger President and its a solid reel...

With lures- I'd start simple....... get a few crankbaits, spinnerbaits, roostertails- stuff that is easy to fish with like rat-l-traps.........

Also, a few easy to fish topwater lures like the Pop-R would be very useful.....

Add some soft plastic baits as well to your arsenal....... like the Zoom Fluke, Strike King Zero, and Berkley Powerworm(blue fleck) and you've got a good start.........

Good luck in your new journey........... :(

WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Read the beginner section then come back with your questions.

X2 with what the members above me said about reading the tips and articles and WELCOME to the forums!!!

As Ever,

skillet

Welcome

As stated

a 6'6 or  7' medium action spinning rod, is good to start off with.

A few crankbaits, different colors, some soft plastics, I like the pink worms, they've worked well for me, and top water pop-r's. Nothing like seeing a fish jump up at a top water. Also if you can get a zara spook(puppy) those are really good to.   Good luck

i would get a 6'6" spinning rod with a lure weight rating of 1/8oz - 1/2oz. i would get a shimano 2500 spinning reel, model would depend on budget.

some may disagree but i think jigs are the easiest lures to master and they produce small and large bass. let it sink to the bottom, reel up slack and by slowly moving your rod tip, crawl the jig along the bottom. give it little hops from time to time. practice in shallow water where you can see what the jig is doing.

1/4oz bitsy bug jig (green pumpkin or brown) with a zoom tiny chunk trailer of same color is my recommendation. (ive caught everything from a 4 inch bass to a 5.5 lb'er on this setup)

other baits to have are small crankbaits (minnow and firetiger colors), white spinnerbait, green pumpkin and watermelon colored soft plastics (senkos, worms, grubs). if you have smallmouth in your waters, try some tube baits.

as far as the boat, i love my canoe and i will be purchasing a SOT (sit on top) kayak soon.

good luck.