Sign in to follow this  
Bassin_0502

Energy PT level wind mechanism cutting my line

Just bought a Quantum Energy PT 7.0:1 burner a few weeks back.  I know there are a couple of different 'viewpoints' on this Forum with regard to Quantums, but heck I paid $80 for a $190 retail reel, I figured it was a good buy. The reel feels great, is easy to cast, with a nice smooth retrieve EXCEPT once in a while I feel a slight tug. The grommet where the line enters the level wind mechanism is not a one-piece design, it is split, presumably to help in manufacturing. Anyway, it appears that the line can get caught up in the split, I have found at least two locations where my line has been  sheared, kind of like a split end on a hair if you can picture what I mean.

Anyone else have this problem? Do all Quantums have this 'split' grommet?  I'm not near my equipment right now, but will check my other reels tonight and maybe try and post a picture of the level wind grommet.

Thanks for any help!

The reel feels great, is easy to cast, with a nice smooth retrieve EXCEPT...

Geez...

"I could have had a V8".

::(

C'mon RW, help me out here! At least it's sitting on a 6-6MHF Avid based on your recs!

The grommet where the line enters the level wind mechanism is not a one-piece design, it is split, presumably to help in manufacturing.
Wrong...

The grommet is actually a Ceramic Zirconia ring and is one piece just like the shock ring in a guide. The Line Guide Carrier body is molded around it. If you see a split in it send/take the reel back.

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!!  

The grommet where the line enters the level wind mechanism is not a one-piece design, it is split, presumably to help in manufacturing.
Wrong...

The grommet is actually a Ceramic Zirconia ring and is one piece just like the shock ring in a guide. The Line Guide Carrier body is molded around it. If you see a split in it send/take the reel back.

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!!

The Reel Mechanic comes to the rescue!

Thank you David for all the help you provide for our members.

Your expertise is truely appreciated.

-Kent

8-)

they're on sale everywhere.  thats probablly why.

Actually they were probably slow movers (at the MSRP) and that's why they are on sale....

Thanks RW....

Tight Lines All!!  

Thanks Reel Mechanic! I will certainly follow your advice.