Sign in to follow this  
Certified Public Angler

Expert opinions wanted, I would like new gear.

So I need a new rod because I am using a POS, but I don't want to spend the money on a spinning rod bc at the rate of my obsession I will be forking out for a baitcaster soon enough.  So I am gonna go ahead and get the BC combo.

A little about myself first.  My bait of choice is soft plastics, lizards, senkos, flukes, frogs, crawdads, brush bugs, weightless, c-rig or t-rig.  I fish soft plastics more than 75% of the time.  I also use some crank baits and poppers usually 1/4oz. I'd say.  I need a BC that will perform well with light baits.  I am only 5'8 so I would like a less bulky reel that could easily be palmed.

Now the important details...I would like to purchase a combo between $120 - $140.  I have been reading the BC<$100 thread and have been scouting some out.  But I am curious about what rod would be best for an all around set up, this will be my main rod&reel.  What kind of combo would you put together if you were me?  Thanks for letting me dip into your wealth of experience BR.

Any name brand 6'6" medium heavy rod will suffice as a basic rod for what you throw.

For expert advice, contact the Reel Mechanic.  :)

Any name brand reel.

If you can stretch your dollars at the upcoming end of the season sales get anything Shimano.  :)

In my option the best all around rod for the money is Berkeley's Lighting Rod which is on sale at BPS for $39.99; get the 6'6 MH model # LRC661MH

As for your reel I would buy Shimano Citica E Series at $119.99

The Shimano Citica E Series is built upon the same platform as the Curado E Series which means a lower profile, reduced weight and compact size. The Citica E also enjoys the same high spool capacity as the Curado E Series and with Super Free technology built into this reel you will need every yard of line for long casts. The Citica E features five ball bearings and HEG Gearing for smooth power and torque. The Citica E still retains its economical price but boasts a ton of features you would only expect to find in high-end reels. The weight of the Citica E has dropped 2.2 ounces from the D Series in part to the smaller frame, lightweight graphite side plates and drilled handle shank.

I don't have any model specific info but if you are in no hurry, take your time and go hold a bunch of rods.  There are lots of options out there for low,low money that provide excellent performance for the $$ but your comfort with the gear will be a very large factor in your confidence with it.

Go shop and post your findings before buying in case you have chosen a product with previous issues that some of the folks here could advise you on.

That's my advice, Good luck. :)

Very good advice LBH.

Falcon

I don't have any model specific info but if you are in no hurry, take your time and go hold a bunch of rods.  There are lots of options out there for low,low money that provide excellent performance for the $$ but your comfort with the gear will be a very large factor in your confidence with it.

Go shop and post your findings before buying in case you have chosen a product with previous issues that some of the folks here could advise you on.

x3,4,5, &6 ;D

Excellent advise LBH...  

I will only add just this. Make sure you are looking at reels and rods that will cover the average lure and line weight that your going to be using. Plus the length will be affected by whether your bank bound or boating.

Just my .02¢

Tight Lines All!  

For a rod, I'd get the new Shimano Clarus (IM7...won best rod at ICAST this year).  They retail for $60.  

For the reel, if you can get the BPS Extreme on sale for $59.99 (they do this frequently)...score one of those.  It is the cheapest reel I know of that has an aluminum frame.  Look at Cabelas frequently, because they put their reels on sale frequently too, and you will get peace of mind knowing they are made by Daiwa.  

I have seen a lot of you say the BPS extreme is a great reel.

I have been looking at the Shimano Clarus and the St. Croix Triumph med power fast action, they are 60 and 70 respectively.

From the other BC thread I gathered that the BPS extreme, Daiwa Exceler or Megaforce would be good options in my range.  I would love a shimano reel bc I think they do a great job with their products so I guess I need to get a Citica 200d in my hands and see whether it feels as bulky as the reviews I've read.

Excellent advise LBH...

I will only add just this. Make sure you are looking at reels and rods that will cover the average lure and line weight that your going to be using. Plus the length will be affected by whether your bank bound or boating.

Just my .02¢

Tight Lines All!

I will be fishing from a boat most of the time, does this mean I can go longer?