Sign in to follow this  
Fishing Rhino

It goes to show, you never "know"

A bit of history, circa 1968.

In the summer of '68, my wife, our daughter, and I took a trip with my parents to visit my uncle who lived in Huntsville, Alabama.

Since my uncle had said he would take us fishing, I brought along my trusty Shakespeare Wonder Rod, a seven foot two piece job, and my Pflueger Freespeed spinning reel.   This rig came from the S&H Green Stamp "redemption" center.

I still have that rod sans a few eyes.  It is about as limber as a piece of well soaked linquine.  If you wiggle it back and forth, the rod will flex into an "S" curve.

My uncle, who had all the latest and greatest, fast taper, heavy action spinning and bait casting rods, laughed at my limber stick, as he called it.

If memory serves, crank baits were all the rage at that time, and my uncle's assortment was matched only by well stocked tackle shops.  

Even so, the day before our fishing expedition to one of the TVA waters, maybe Wheeler, the other escapes me, south of Huntsville, we stopped at the tackle shop for a fishing report.  The fish were hitting on something my uncle lacked so he stocked up on them.

Dark and early the next morning we were off.  We launched his boat just as it was getting light.  For the next couple of hours we got not so much as a nibble.

My uncle and dad were tossing everything in the arsenal, while I was going through my Daredevles, Mepps, plastic worms, Jitterbugs, Hula Poppers, Creek Chub Plunkers and what else with no luck.

I was down to the only lure I hadn't cast, a three inch gold rebel.   My recollection is that the entire lure was gold, no black back.  

First cast, a strike, and a two pound Kentucky Spotted Bass.  Second cast, another even larger.

When we were done, I had boated 17 Bass, my uncle and dad, zero.

On the way home, we stopped at the tackle store.  We had kept about ten bass on ice, and my uncle showed them to the proprietor.  He made a comment that we'd had a good day fishing.

My uncle corrected him that I'd had a good day fishing.  He and my dad had struck out.  

It turned out that the tackle shop did not have my lure in stock, but the owner was going to order six for my uncle and six for himself.  

I don't know if my uncle had any success with them, or if his telephone poles would impart the same action as my "limber stick".

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then.  Never hesitate to try something new or different.

Regards, Tom

I'm likin you already Tom You mean no She mano rells, no Loomis rod and heaven forbid no japaneese imported 50 dollar lure that can outfish live bait?

Welcome

Dominick

Great story Rhino and welcome to the group.....you will fit in just fine.

Big O

www.ragetail.com

Welcome! I fully agree with Dominick, but that was forty years ago.  Are you still using the same rod?   ;D

Welcome! I fully agree with Dominick, but that was forty years ago. Are you still using the same rod? ;D

LOL, no.  But I still have it.  It's missing an eye or two.  One eye is held on with a band aid, and another with electrical tape.  The winding on others is unravelling, and the female part of the coupling needs to be reglued.

I'm thinking about getting it "restored", just for old time's sake.  Even the ultralight stuff on the racks is nowhere near as flexible as my old Wonder Rod.  At the butt, the blank is not much more than 1/4 inch in diameter.

Who knows?  If I do get it fixed up, I might try it just for giggles.  I doubt it could cast half the stuff in my tackle box now.

Regards, Tom

I'm likin you already Tom You mean no She mano rells, no Loomis rod and heaven forbid no japaneese imported 50 dollar lure that can outfish live bait?

Welcome

Dominick

Geez...

Just think what a day it could have been with the right equipment!

::)

Tom, glad to have another Old Fart on the board.  We guys in our 60's are few and far between around  here.  Like you, despite my advanced years, I'm a relative newbie to the sport.  I've been pursuing Old Bucket Mouth for only a couple of years.

Great story.  Nice to hear about history that's related to fishing.  You sound a lot like my father in his younger days.  Welcome aboard!!

Welcome! I fully agree with Dominick, but that was forty years ago. Are you still using the same rod? ;D

LOL, no. But I still have it. It's missing an eye or two. One eye is held on with a band aid, and another with electrical tape. The winding on others is unravelling, and the female part of the coupling needs to be reglued.

I'm thinking about getting it "restored", just for old time's sake. Even the ultralight stuff on the racks is nowhere near as flexible as my old Wonder Rod. At the butt, the blank is not much more than 1/4 inch in diameter.

Who knows? If I do get it fixed up, I might try it just for giggles. I doubt it could cast half the stuff in my tackle box now.

Regards, Tom

Maybe you should restore just to perserve a fond memory. We tend to forget the past and only look to the future. Sometimes the recollection will allow us to make a new fond memory. Thanks for sharing.

::)