Sign in to follow this  
Speed Worm

Best reel for small lures (1/8 oz and lighter)

Before this gets out of hand due to brand favoritism, I would like to hear the opinion of those that DO fish lures this light.

Scenario: Let's say you want to cover as much water as possible and are using an 1/8 oz rapala floating minnow. You are equiped with small diameter line (Power pro 10 lb test) and have to rank reels as to which will handle the task at hand better. Reels have to be under $300.

- Favorite ABU

- Favorite Daiwa (no pixies please)

- Favorite Shimano

i.e: (1. STX, 2. MG7, 3. Alpha ito)

I hate to tell you, but none of those reels will cast a 1/8oz Rapala minnow.  Casting a 1/8oz shaky head would be very tough with the aforementioned reels, but no way on the Rapala.  Its the weight of the Rapala combined with its wind resistance.  Tiny cranks and minnows are the hardest to cast with casting equipment.  The only reels capable are the Pixy, Presso, and spinning reels.  

The Sol and the Chronarch Mg cast extremely well 1/8 th ounce baits but like TN said, trying to cast a Rapala Minnow of that weight is pushing it, not that they don 't cast it, they can cast it and it 's going to to land in three yards of in front of you, also 10 lbs test is too heavy, 6 lbs test, 8 lbs tops.

If you are not going after the Pixy better try a spinning reel.

Besides, you can get a sliver mica Pixy ( mainstream, non limited edition ) for about $280 ( shipping included ) at Brooklyn Bill 's.

I think it's funny you want to cast something this light but said no Pixy. Suggestion: Get the Pixy, 6 lb. test.

Good luck with your search. ::)

I'd save some cash and just pick up a Shimano Sahara or Symetre in 1000 or 2000 size.  Pair it up with a 6-7 ft light action rod and some 6lb test.  Almost all the rapala floaters/ countdowns I use are in the smaller sizes (3-7) and I think light spinning tackle is the way to go.  

Pixies are great and the ideal bc reel for the application. But they are a bit pricey. Other than the pixy, which other Daiwas would you say handle light lures well (1/4 oz)?

Using the reels mentioned just won't work.  Pixy, Presso, or Alphas Ito would be your best bet.  You also need a rod with a light enough tip to throw those lures, so consider that as well.

Pixies are great and the ideal bc reel for the application. But they are a bit pricey. Other than the pixy, which other Daiwas would you say handle light lures well (1/4 oz)?

Ok, so now we went up from 1/8 oz to 1/4, Alphas TypeF, Sol, Chronarch Mg, Curado 100D, TDZ105H, those can cast 1/4 oz baits with ease and handle the heavier baits as well.

If you are not in a hurry and can wait, shop around a little.  It took me half the winter but I found a NIB Silver Mica Pixy for $220.00.  This was at a better known Japanese tackle retailer.  Most of the Japanese sellers speak very good English and are willing to deal a little if you become a repeat customer.  Brooklyn Bill is another guy I would suggest.  I have nothing but good things to say about him.

I've been looking around for about 6 months now. I'm looking to buy a whole set of reels (1 for light lures, 3 burners and an all around). I've been looking at Daiwas mostly. But since the new curados were coming out, I decided I could wait out ...

I'm not sure what the big deal is, because I know I'm not the best operator of a baitcast reel on this forum (though I've been doing it for several years now), but I regularly use a Rapala Floating Minnow in the size 7 (1/8oz) or 11 (3/16oz) and had no problem casting it on my previous cranking combo.  This consisted of an old-school Quantum Energy E640PT spooled with 10lb mono on a BPS Bassmaster Professional 7' M/F rod.  I could easily 25-30 yds with the cast control set to 3 of 9 brakes on.  I recently upgraded my light cranking combo to a Curado 100DSV (spooled with 10lb Yozuri Hybrid) on a Loomis CBR781 and can still chunk these light lures 30yds all day long (a little less into the wind.  In fact, I caught a 2.75 lb LM bass on a 1/8oz Storm Sub Wart last night.  I don't think you need to spend that much to get a super specialized reel for light weight work.  A quality rod with a flexible tip and light line contribute just as much to the equation.

I'm not sure what the big deal is, because I know I'm not the best operator of a baitcast reel on this forum (though I've been doing it for several years now), but I regularly use a Rapala Floating Minnow in the size 7 (1/8oz) or 11 (3/16oz) and had no problem casting it on my previous cranking combo.  This consisted of an old-school Quantum Energy E640PT spooled with 10lb mono on a BPS Bassmaster Professional 7' M/F rod.  I could easily 25-30 yds with the cast control set to 3 of 9 brakes on.  I recently upgraded my light cranking combo to a Curado 100DSV (spooled with 10lb Yozuri Hybrid) on a Loomis CBR781 and can still chunk these light lures 30yds all day long (a little less into the wind.  In fact, I caught a 2.75 lb LM bass on a 1/8oz Storm Sub Wart last night.  I don't think you need to spend that much to get a super specialized reel for light weight work.  A quality rod with a flexible tip and light line contribute just as much to the equation.

I had trouble throwing them 20 yards on a spinning reel.

I can throw them a considerable distance (>30 yds) with a 7'6" ML-F Kunnan with a symetre 3000FJ and 10 Powerpro.

But I have trouble doing the same with my 7' M StCroix Prem and Citica.