Sign in to follow this  
Okieracer

Reels for my rods question

I have a 6'9" Falcon topwater light action rod and a 7' Falcon crankbait rod I think is a medium.  Looking for a good reel for each.  Looking to spend around $120 for each reel and I don't wanna buy used.  Just looking for some opinions.  Thx

Spinning reel: Shimano Symetre 2500FI

Baitcasting: Shimano Citica 200E

8-)

I'm planning on using them fishing tourneys next spring thru fall.  Will a 4 bearing (3+1) reel hold up to that abuse?  I was leaning towards the Revo S (8+1),  Or maybe a Diawa Tierra (6+1).  Both are right there in price but have double the bearings.  I'm not brand dependent like it seems a lot of people are on here.  No offense.  Both have gotten nice reviews on BPS.com and the Citica doesn't have any reviews at all.  Also will it make much of a difference on the topwater or crankbait rod?  Or is it mostly all rod when it comes to functionality?  I would like to match the rod and reel to its intended purpose.  Thx.    

bearings arent as important as you think they are. I buy a Citica E in a heartbeat, but not everywhere has them yet, which is why there are no reviews. I second the Citica, i have an older model and its great.

I'd go with the Revo S as well, or a Revo SC from Cabelas if you prefer an externally adjustable magnetic brake.  The Revo S/SC is known and very well regarded.  The Citica E is a new model and it will take some time to see how it will hold up.  

For a spinning reel, I'd go with an Abu Garcia Cardinal 502 or 602 ALB.  The 602 has a better drag,the 502 is less expensive.

so i played with a brand new citica today. eh..

i meann it was nice and i liked how small it was and how much thumb access to the spool there was. but.... it didnt reallly feel that smooth to me at all and it wasnt the most solid feeling thing either. it has two less bearings than the curado.... but feels light years different inn  smoothness. i played with both the new saltwater accurist and the revo sx and both seemed as nice or better and the store was offering them much much cheaper. 70 for the accurist ad 90 for the sx. the citica was 110.

*shrug* maybe a million other people came in this week and spun it.

just my .02

if you are not in a hurry wait for the new quantum catalyst baitcasters to come out late next month. i know you said the accurist felt good and that is a quantum reel. i know alot of people bash quantum and  that is fine but they make pretty good reels and that is coming from someone who has fished shimano stellas. it's alot about what feels right to you that is the main thing before brand and looks. i have a buddy who still fishes with the old style mitchell spinning reels. he has brand new everything but when it comes to spinning reels he loves those. and the dude can put them in the boat with it.

...and the Citica doesn't have any reviews at all.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewcuradociticapreview09pg2.html

Shimano's promise: Strong, smooth, silent and reliant. Shimano reels

consistantly live up to their reputation for outstanding reels that have

stood the test of time. The Citica is the best value at its pricing point.

BTW, The magnetic brakes on the Revos have been a major

disappointment and I hear they are being replaced on new

versions. I have this braking system on my Revo STX and

I don't care for it at all.

The top of the line Revo Premier and Abu Garcia's latest

introduction, the Revo Winch, both have a six pin centrifugal

braking system:

http://tackletour.com/reviewabugarcia2009reelsprepg2.html

8-)