Sign in to follow this  
snapper G

Pro max VS BPS extreme reels?

What reel is better?  

I'm getting a new reel soon, so sorry about the two post concerning reels!  :)

Thanks!

Spend the extra coin on a Tierra or a Citica - much better reels, and will last you.

BPS EXTREME< they will go on sale for 60 bucks in the fall you can't beat that for value. Those reels are so good for the money. I have had a lot of experience using them, I just prefer another brand more. These reels are dependable and offer good value for the money

Never fished with the Pro Max, I just looked at it in the store only.  I wasn't impressed with it, seemed it should have been smoother than it felt.  

BPS Extreme on the other hand......I love those reels.  They are very smooth, and actually they are on sale now for $65 if you get the Fall Angler catalog from Bass Pro Shops.  Would be nicer if they went on sale for $60 and you could buy them from the site, but right now on the site they are still $80.  They are very nice reels and you will not go wrong with one of these.

I bought a Pro Max this summer, on the cast it sounded like it was coming apart on the inside and the thumb bar wouldn't re-engage after every cast. I took it apart to lube, oil, and check to see if anything was wrong with it, no changes. I ended up taking it back for a refund. It may have just been the one I bought, but I wouldn't recommend one. I do have an Extreme Lite that I've been using for 3 years, no problems with it.

when given a choice, always go for the reel with the one-piece aluminum frame. in my experience, that is the one thing that can make the biggest difference between reels.

i have a pro max and it starts off the day nice and smooth but, by mid-morning, it's noisy when casting and noticeably rougher turning the handle...not sure if it's the graphite frame flexing so the gears aren't in perfect alignment or what but that simply doesn't happen with my one-piece aluminum frame reels.

Hmmm......I'm seein' a pattern here.  Extreme!!  Extreme!! Extreme!!

It has the one piece aluminum frame and mine is sooooo smooooth on the cast and retrieve both.  You'll never beat that reel for the money.  I think it's the lowest priced aluminum framed reel I've ever seen.  It's just a great reel regardless of the money, well worth $100 if it costed that much, but it doesn't so get one and have a great reel at an even greater price.   :)