Sign in to follow this  
crankbait2009

Reels offered at Bass Pro Shopps - advice on the better one

below are a couple model numbers to Pro Qualifier Baitcaster reels that bass pro shop have to offer that i have been eye balling.   ::)

has anyone used either one of the bait casters?  is it worth the money and which one would you take over the other, and why?

if you have read my other posts, i am VERY new at fishing and would like a baitcasting rod/reel that will last me a long time. (in the $100 ball park).  i know this is only a reel minus the rod but just trying to weigh my options

Pro Qualifier

#PQX10S - 5.2:1 - Clearance $69.77

#PQX10HD - 6.4:1 - NEW $99.99

#PQX10SHD - 7.1:1 - NEW $99.99

The older one comes only in 5.3:1, for cranking I would get the new 6.4:1, thats a great reel and they upgraded it a bit. My friend Gene has one I threw it a bit, I liked it better than the older model. I HAVE NOT USED IT LONG TERM, you should wait to see if someone with more experience using both reels chimes in .

The "Extreme" is a great reel man. On sale now for about $65 too. Good longevity too. Muddy gave me one of the ETX05 model ones, it's become one of my favorite reels.

speaking of extreme................BPS has extreme spinning reels on sale for $40

im looking for paitcasters but  just thought id pass on the info  :)

I love the Extreme Baitcasters but that spinning reel, the new gold one is the biggest disapointment ever from BPS, the reel is not sturdy, it has numerous points for the line to get under the spool , AND IT DOES and I gave it to a kid. I was curious how it would compare to a Flooger President, it was trash,

As far as I can see, the new Pro Qualifier is a lot like the Extreme.  Both are 7 bearing reels, both are built on the same frame design and should be roughly the same size (I say roughly cause the Rick Clunn looked like it would have been too, but when I ordered it, it was somewhat larger bodywise, and I could tell as I held it).  

The crank is the most obvious difference to me.  Has the contoured "twisted" grips (like most Pfluegers) instead of just flat like the Extreme has.  They are also a swept in design where the Extreme just has a straight shank for it's paddle grips to ride on.  Either one is fine with me.  And the Pro Qualifier has an aluminum drag star but the Extreme has a graphite drag star.  Not a significant difference.  

They both have lube ports too.  The Extreme lube port is for applying grease to the gears, its on the bottom of the gearbox and the reel has to be removed from the rod to access it by removing the screw holding the lid on.  The Pro Qualifier "looks" like it's gonna be up on the side of the body based on the picture (not seen one personally yet to know for sure).  There's a silver knob or cover of some kind visible on the same side as the crank is on, it's in a place where there's nothing on the Extreme so I'm assuming that's what they are calling the oil port.  Not entirely sure how that's gonna work.......but really it's unimportant anyway.  I only use the lube port on mine to temporarily smooth it out some to get me through one more fishing trip before a complete breakdown and relube anyway.  If you are doing that then a lube port is unnecessary, you'll tear it all down and clean it, then relube it, not just add some grease in on top of dirt and old lube.  

A little less obvious difference between the Extreme and the Pro Qualifier, but probably the most important, is the braking system.  It's a dual centrifugal/magnetic system on the PQ.  Not entirely sure how that works, but I believe it physically has brakes that will spin out and ride on a drum to slow the spool down, and it also will have magnetics too.  The Extreme has the ITB system, or inertia brakes.  It's magnetic but it has a plate on the spool that spins out with centrifugal force to react to slow down the spool even further, the plate comes in closer proximity to the magnets in other words due to forces pulling it out, and it helps to slow the spool down.  The faster the spool turns the farther out that plate moves and applies more magnetic force to slow it down.  The only REAL difference I can see is that it's not physically letting a brake pad ride on a drum to slow it down.  No actual contact is made with the Extreme brakes, but the Pro Qualifier does make contact.  The new PQ's that is, the older 5.2 version you're looking at has the same ITB brake as the Extreme does.    

Otherwise it's virtually the same reel, just one is silver and the other is green.  I think the PQ is a good reel based on what I've read about it, and had it been on sale I might have gotten it.  But already owning one Extreme, and having them on sale too, was enough to make me buy another one instead of trying the Pro Qualifier.  

Oh sorry. I got carried away there with people talking about Extremes and I sort of compared it to the Pro Qualifier. You asked about which PQ model I'd get over the other one, not even mentioning the Extreme.

In that case I'd have to say the 6.4:1. To me it's the most usable all around reel of the ones listed. It's a good solid speed, fast enough to fish buzzbaits and keep them on top of the water but slow enough also to crank light weight medium to shallow diving crankbaits with. If I want it to go a lot slower I just slow down how fast I crank it, that's all. That might be harder to do with a 7.1:1 reel. And of course with the 5.2:1 reel, keeping a heavier buzzbait up on top of the water might be a chore. The 6.4:1 is sort of in the middle. I have one that speed and when I ordered my second one I got the same ratio again instead of trying something different. If I was building a deep diving crankbait rod I would have gotten the slowest speed of them all. If I was making a Texas rig/jigging rod or buzzbait rod I would get the faster one. You don't really need a certain speed reel for T-rigging or jigging but I find it convenient to cast my bait, work it through the strike zone and then once that's done I can retrieve it quickly for another cast. Those baits are worked with the rod, not with the reel, so speed is just a convenience and that's all. But I still got the 6.4:1 cause it allows me to fish a whole lot of baits with the same rod. T-rigs, jigs, buzzbaits, crankbaits, spinnerbaits.....just a lot of stuff.