Sign in to follow this  
crankbait2009

penn reels

I noticed that there is not a lot of conversation about PENN reels.  atleast i couldnt find a lot of threads on them.......................my question is; are the baitcasting reels any good?  pros/cons??

I had an old large round Penn reel that I used for snagging for years. Still have it but don't go snagging anymore. Lots of use, no cleaning, and no problems.

Not sure on the newer light weight baitcasters, but my old one was tough as nails.

Never used their casting stuff, but their spinning stuff is good for inshore saltwater.  The "slammer" series seems to be quite nice, but I don't really care for it.  My buddy lives and dies by them, but I find them to be to heavy.  

As noted, they're most known for their SW spinning reels and the famous Senator line of off-shore trolling and bottom fishing casting reels.

I had 3 Penn Power Graph spinning reels and they were great.

I have a feeling they may outsource their freshwater baitcasting line.  It's just a hunch though.

My dad swears by them for catfishing and snagging spoonbill.  Parts are easily available and they are fairly easy to work on.  I used an INternational muskie fishing this summer and it was one of the nicest reels I have ever handled, right there with my Calcutta TE.

Don't know anyhting about the newer smaller stuff

I hear that Penn reels arent the same ever since they started manufacturing them in China. I use the older (i.e. American made) SS ones and they are work horses. Salt and Freshwater

They have some nice reels that are very smooth, but as others said most of them are geared towards saltwater and they do tend to be a little on the heavy side. That's why they don't get much consideration here.