Sign in to follow this  
auburn bass man

How about a comparison

Theres two main reels that I have my eye on.  The Revo STX and the Shimano Curado.  I have no experience with Abu Garcia reels but shimano has always served me well.  But for close to the same price (e bay) tell me your thoughts on the two.  I appreciate the help.

Jake

After fishing with the Revo STX for several years now, and seeing the Curado E in action, and trying it a time or two myself, I'd go with the Revo.  In fact, I'd go with a Quantum over the current Curado.

From my experience, the Revo is much more substantial.  Break them both down and you'll see what I mean.  The Revo has more robust gearing and other components.   The STX has aluminum sideplates, aluminum spool tension knob, and steel levelwind shroud.  All plastic on the Curado E.  Attention to detail inside the reel is another telling point.  Where the Revo is meticulously machined, the Curado looks distinctively cast, unlike like its predecessor, the 200D.  The Revo has a drag the Curado simply cannot match.   The Revo is as smooth, and cast just as well.  In fact, the Revo casts light baits as well, and I think it handles heavier baits better.   The brake is far easier to adjust than the Curado.  The Curado E has a really low profile, and may be slightly lighter.  But the corners Shimano cut to get there are very evident.  I don't know what it is about this reel that suggests it should cost $180.  

The Curado is even less substantial than the Revo S, which is $60 less expensive.   I suppose, in large part, you are paying for the name.

I'm betting you are going to get some passionate answers.  I suggest you take a close look at these reel, beyond the logo painted on them, and see which reel has the guts to take you 10 years down the road.  

I wouldn't buy a Curado E.  So I can't recommend it.  I would buy, and own 3, Revo STXs.  I recommend them over the Shimano.  In addition to a better reel, you get Abu's awesome customer service in the remote chance you need it.

I was in BPS yesterday and saw my first Curado E up close. Interesting paint job on it though I'm not a fan of Green reels. Had a nice feel to it and the VBS braking system blows the STX away. :)

IMO, in the price range of the STX or even less, there are reels out there just as good.

Daiwa Zillion

BPS Johnny Morris

Pflueger Patriarch

Pflueger Summit

Pflueger Supreme

I can't speak on the offerings from Quantum as I've never used them nor the latest Curado.

I will say that despite all the great features of the STX, the reels braking system is not as good as any of the other reels I've listed nor even those I didn't. They can be a pain to setup and cast under differing lure types, wind conditions and line type.

JMO of course and I'm sure other(s) will argue. :(

Read through this thread for a detailed and somewhat passionate

discussion of the Revos:

http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishing_forums/YaBB.pl?num=1222553329

Shimano makes fine reels and the Curado line has a long history of outstanding performance.

The new Curado E series builds on this tradition and will prove to be one of the best reels

Shimano has ever produced.

Strong, smooth, silent and reliant...I am a Shimano Man!

8-)

In fact, I'd go with a Quantum over the current Curado.

i've noticed that the revo STX is quite polarizing...people either seem to either love it or hate it. i have a curado E and a revo SX (not the STX). when adjusted just right, i enjoy using the revo...however, i've noticed it is extremely finicky as to its settings (way moreso than even the cheapie garcia pro max i have that has a similar magnetic braking system) and i've had my share of frustrations with it. in fact, yesterday, i got a birdsnest so bad that i could not pick it out and had to cut half my line out. looking back at what happened, after changing lures, i think i was in a hurry and forgot to adjust the spool tension control knob. on the other hand, my curado E is a dream...i have yet to get a birdsnest in it and i hardly ever have to touch the tension knob. just my experience.

I got a new 201E7 yesterday and out of the box...its not even close to the same quality as my 101D's. If I where to buy again, i'd opt for another 101D curado or ebay a 101B chronarch.

I have spent some time fishing with both reels and either one is a great option.  The STX feels more solid in hand, but don't be fooled by the construction of the curado.  This reel is a flat out tank.  I have landed some enormous fish with this reel and it never skipped a beat.  I ended up sticking with the curado because the VBS is amazing, the curado feels great in my hands, and shimano products typically do great in saltwater.

In fact, I'd go with a Quantum over the current Curado.

LOL...Thats what I was thinking, thats a serious poke in the eye!!

I have used both and personally think that you can't go wrong with either choice.  But, if I had to pick one, I would go with the curado mainly because the curado line of reels has served me well. ;D