Sign in to follow this  
bocabasser

big bait rod help

i just received my lunker punkers and my shell cracker swim baits and they look amazing. today i used the lunker punker and i was throwing it on an 8' telescopic flipping rod ( it is the stiffest rod i own) with my calcutta 250 w' 65# braid. my question is this: is there a rod i can get that is sturdy enough for those big baits and can i get one smaller than 8'? my forearm is so sore from throwing that thing for 4 hours. 2 fish 4 pounds each. thanks in advance.

The long rods help so much in casting.  I built one a swimbait rod on 6'6" musky blank and it's so short that you get no action.  And casting is 10X worse than with a 7'6" - 8' rod.  I carry it now to kill snakes with.   :)

thanks fellas. what is the lightest reel you guys would recomend for that rod?

Okumas are you best bet. They make a 7'6", but

I HIGHLY recommend the 7'11". It provides so much more leverage to toss big baits. I have tossed punkers on my Okuma 7'11" XH and it works awesome.

I would go with the 7'6" for top water swimbaits like the punker. Dobyns is coming out with a swimbait rod for this purpose early next year (I will be buying this rod). You might want to wait, if not go with the 7'6" okuma. I currently use the Loomis 955 which IMO feels a little awkward walking the punker. Just my two cents.

Okuma is a nice rod, but heavy.  I prefer Dobyns' 795 Mike Long Swimbait rod.  Lighter, balanced better, and paired with a Abu Revo Inshore, You're set.  If you want more line capacity Try a Calcutta.  

If you want more line capacity Try a Calcutta.

He has one.

with my calcutta 250 w' 65# braid.

I just bought a 7'9" St. Croix Mojo Swimbait rod. Haven't fished this rod yet but it should be ok for baits up to 4.5oz.