Sign in to follow this  
Sharkbite

Spinning reel annual cleaning

hey guys I just learned how to breakdown and clean my BC reels.  I have a few spinning reels I need to do though.  I read the manual for my president and it said to rince with fresh water then re oil and lube.  Is this correct?  It also says to just do the peices exsposed nothing about taking it apart.  Is this what you guys do?

If any one has a diagram and/or site I would love it Thanks,Sharkbite

All reels should be taken completely apart and cleaned. Spinning reels have more small parts and should be done by a professional.

O really so I shouldn't attempt to take it apart?  I think at the end of next year the Pfleuger Mooks are sending all the reels out together.  So I'll wait till then for my spinning reels to get cleaned.  For now I'll follow the manual except the part were it says to rince with water.

It depends on how mechanically inclined you are and if you are confident enough.

Having the reel schematic (the blown up view) is a must. Make notes and sketches if neccesary. I have access to a zerox machine at work that can make enlarged images, it's great for schematics.

An old ice cube tray is good for keeping the parts organized while your working.

Search this site for reel maitenance tips, especially those written by The Reel Mechanic - he knows his stuff.

Well now, it can be done, but you will find it somewhat challenging.

This is a project that is not suited for everyone, but good luck!

8-)

It depends on how mechanically inclined you are and if you are confident enough.

Having the reel schematic (the blown up view) is a must. Make notes and sketches if neccesary. I have access to a zerox machine at work that can make enlarged images, it's great for schematics.

An old ice cube tray is good for keeping the parts organized while your working.

Search this site for reel maitenance tips, especially those written by The Reel Mechanic - he knows his stuff.

Were do I get these schematics?

Were do I get these schematics?

One should have come with your reel. One came with my Trion LP and I lost it. I went to Pflueger's Site and requested one via email. I gave my mailing address and model number and in about 1.5 weeks it arrived. It was painless. :)

John Please listen to this

1. I know the reel, it used to be mine! it does not need to be broken down

2. You have not used it enough , that it would need such a procedure

3. Rinse the outside off, and follow the simple diagram I gave you, it came from Pflueger, that tells you were to oil the outer parts that need it AND PUT IT IN THE REEL CASE I  GAVE YOU FOR THE WINTER

ez does it you mook! ::)

I'm too scared to take apart mine.Mine's heading to a professional.

John Please listen to this

1. I know the reel, it used to be mine! it does not need to be broken down

2. You have not used it enough , that it would need such a procedure

3. Rinse the outside off, and follow the simple diagram I gave you, it came from Pflueger, that tells you were to oil the outer parts that need it AND PUT IT IN THE REEL CASE I GAVE YOU FOR THE WINTER

ez does it you mook! ::)

OK mook I'll leave it alone

I'm too scared to take apart mine.Mine's heading to a professional.

Yea me too.  I just oiled were the manual said to and it's good as new now.