Sign in to follow this  
FishingBuds

Another Spinning rod & reel question

I got a specific question here, is there anyone that uses spinning rod & reels for everything? I mean all of it from crankin to worms?

I think Russ said sometime back on another thread he mostly use's them.

but after this year I have evaluated that me and spinning work great together, I guess its having my hand on the rod constantly or what ever but it works very well with me, I can feel things alot more, do alot better over all.

I'm not comparing whats best, Just the straight question ;)

I own 1 conventional reel that I only use for sailfish & kingfish.

I don't like to "muscle" a fish in with baitcasters & 50# braid. Tournament fisherman want the fish in the boat fast, they aren't there for fun, but for money. Spinning allows me to play the fish and that's what I'm there for.  I never would pass the opportunity to get the ole fly rod out, for me that's the ultimate.

I'm all spinning, though I flirted with bc back in the late eighties. Had some fun with it, but never really stuck with it. I probably will get a bc this season for when the puddles I fish turn into a soggy salad. The bc gear is so much better now than twenty years ago.

I'm with Stu on the "fun" aspect of it all. I fish for fun, not to make a living. I absolutely love ultra light spinning gear. A three # plus fish on ultra light or light spinning tackle is something to be experienced.

If the bass bite is off, I'll go after crappie or big gills. It's all good to me.

I've used spinning gear on & off for nearly 40 years.  I just started using baitcasting equipment last year.  With more practice, I think I might become more accurate with my baitcasting setups.  However, I will probably use spinning gear for the majority of the time, since I fish from shore (in brushy areas).  As I become more experienced with BC, I will probably lean that way...

I think the biggest advantage of BC reels is when you use heavier line, i.e. 12lb mono & higher.  Unless you are using less managable line, IMHO you will not be limited by the use of spinning gear.  

When I first used a BC reel I had a RH version.  It was too distracting to crank with the WRONG hand ;).  I almost gave up on BC.  However, it became more fun with a LH version.

Cheers!

I like to use spinning gear for light plastics and creek fishing.

For all other applications I prefer to use baitcast.

When it comes to panfishing I prefer to use....and don't laugh....

THE TRUSTWORTHY,GOOD OLE' RELIABLE ZEBCO! ;)

I love those set ups, just make sure you change the line to a better brand!

I use all spinning. Used to use some baitcasting but it wasn't versatile enough for me.

Spinning for light weight plastics...baitcast for everything else for me.

This has been me for the most part but in the last year I have caught more and bigger on Spinning than my BC's, I might have to play with my line more on the BC, but it just seems I can feel more with the spinning's.

I can't crank lure very good still, so I may try it with  spinning next year. ;)

I use spinning gear most of the time because I'm usually out on the lake with my dad and it's basically the only time we spend together. We usually worm fish and sometimes with minnows. I rarely pull out the bait casters when I am with him.

I think the spinning combos can cover almost all items except maybe the heavier lures and such.