Sign in to follow this  
Micro

Looking for a rod for ripping big jerkbaits, and for wakebaits

I want to pair my new Zillion up with a rod that will be appropriate for ripping bigger jerkbaits, and will handle bigger topwaters and wakebaits.  The heaviest bait I will fish will probably be a Deps Buzzjet, which goes just over 1 oz.   I'd like a rod over 7'.  I want graphite.  

Any suggestions?  I think I've perused just about all the major rod sites and found one - the Powell 765CB.  Any reviews on this rod?

I'll be interested to see the responses to this thread as well. I have issues with the 128 size pointers (around 1 oz). When I use them on my 6'6" medium rod it feels too wimpy, but when I use them on my 7'MH it feels like I'm overpowering the jerkbait.  ;)

I know it's nowhere near the length you want, but I picked-up an '08 Kistler He59MHC for pretty much the same presentations.  Me likey.

This is a rod that will meet your needs and exceed your expectations.

The Lamiglas SR705R was designed by Skeet Reese for deep cranking,

but is very versatile. I use the rod for all heavy treble hook lures,

including the DD22 and Pointer 128.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0037314120919a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=sr705r&sort=all&Go.y=6&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&Go.x=15&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

8-)

The Lamiglass seems to fit the bill for what I'm looking for.  The price is reasonable.  It's glass, but that just may be what I have to get to get what I want.  

RW, would that rod work well with wakebaits like the Deps Buzzjet, Jackall Mikey and Dagored?  These are all around the 1 oz mark with big trebles.  

Although rated for 1 1/2 oz, I think it will perform just fine for

somewhat heavier lures. I received a Deps Realiser for Christmas

(1.5 oz) which I have rigged, but not thrown. The lure does not

appear to fully load the rod, but I need to fish it to provide a better

response.

8-)

IMO the only problem with the 705R is that it is too long for working pointers. Especially if you tend to throw pointers all day during the winter month. I prefer a shorter rod to keep the tip from smacking the water.

I am also looking for a rod that will work the 128. I have been looking at buying one of lucky craft pointer rods (6'10" rated up to 2oz) for this purpose, but I am not sure of the action and durability of LC rods.

I have used the buzzjet with the 705R with no problems.

I received a Deps Realiser for Christmas

(1.5 oz) which I have rigged, but not thrown.  

And when you do fish it, please provide a review.  It looks like it will be a killer striper bait.