Sign in to follow this  
Ehubb5951

New here quick question about spinning rod/reel upgrade

Hey guys new to the forums here looks like a great place to learn a lot about fishing. Anyways to the question ;). I fish a lot of small ponds in my area and use a lot of small baits such as 4" worms 3" craws and other small lures. I've been wanting to upgrade my rod/reel. Right now I'm using a 6 1/2 MH BPS graphite rod and an abu 104 reel. I'm looking to spend around $200-250 and wanted to get some views on what to get. Ive been looking at a 7 M carrot stick but dont know what reel to match up with it.

Welcome to the forum.  Check out this thread, it may help you decide on a reel.  I am more into baitcasters but have a few spinning reels and am looking for another myself by spring.  I'm looking at the Shimano symetre or stradic, but this thread may give you a heads up in what you may like.

http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishing_forums/YaBB.pl?num=1177888101

Won't comment on the rod other than to say you probably would want to go with a 7' mm or mh.  To many out there to choose from.  Read some of the threads in this forum and you'll get a few ideas.  There will be several along with some good advice to help with rod choice.

You should be able to come up with a nice combo for $175-250 easily.

Good luck-ff15

Welcome aboard!

Smooth, strong, silient and reliant.

This is your reel, Citica 200 E:

http://www.***.com/descpageRLCSHIMANO-SCRE.html

For your spinning rod, St. Croix Avid AVS68MXF or AVS70MF.

8-)

For fishing small ponds and for the lure sizes you mentioned a medium action will suit you just fine.  A medium heavy wouldn't be overkill especially if you decide to start throwing bigger, heavier lures.  However, that is better suited to baitcasting setups.  I don't have any personal experience with Carrot Stix but I know a lot of guys who love them.  A 7'M would be an excellent choice.  Just a few days ago I purchased an All star 845STR and paired it with a Stradic2500.  The rod is a 7'M with a fast tip.  For light t-rigs, light jigs and maybe some small spinners and cranking M/F is the way to go IMHO.  I know the Stradic was already mentioned along with the Symetre.  Both are great reels and you can find them for well under retail on ebay and still be under your spending mark depending on what rod you go with.  Im still figuring a lot out for myself but I hope this helps.

if you do a little research, carrot stix are getting cheaper! i definitely recommend them. i have the 7' med/fast with a quantum energy pti20. i also have the 7'3" mh/moderate with a quantum tour pti30. i have used both with great success throwing just about anything except swimbaits!