Sign in to follow this  
Micro

Bass Pro "makes over" all their reels

I was perusing BPS baitcasting page and see all their reels have been made-over.   Looks like some of them are Pflueger-like, others look distinctively Quantum-like.   There's a new "high end" Johnny Morris, the Gold Series.  

BPS Baitcast reels

The new Pro Qualifier is very "Pure Fishing" with the thumbscrew sideplate release. It doesn't look like the JM line has changed much. The sig series still has the thicker chin under the level wind as well as the Elite and Gold which they've slotted the chin on those, I assume to cut weight. The lower end reels definitely have Quantum written all over them.

Muddy stated the Pflueger Supreme was dropped. It appears so as BPS doesn't have it listed and the new Cabela's catalog has the Patriarch, Summit and President reels but no Supreme. I'll be curious to see if they release that reel as a pure fishing style reel with dual braking later this year.

I don't know much about the manufactures or what the reels look like inside, but I just got a new BPS pro qualifier and it says made in Korea. My only other reel with the made in Korea is my Revo. I am not implying anything just fun facts I thought I would share.

The new Pro Qualifiers are the new Pflueger Presidents and the Johnny Morris Signatures are Pflueger Patriarchs.  Pflueger is a pure fishing brand just as Abu Garcia is

I was just looking at their reels earlier today and thought they looking much better. I have taken a liking to the Rick Cunn. Love the new handle designs.

Also, I have fished with an older Pro Lite for the past 2 years or so without any problems. A quality reel. I think I will be heading out some day soon to make a few purchases.

seems the weight went up on a few too the new proliet is 9.4 thats heavy for a low pro

I saw that too. On Bass Pro Shop's website they list the reel at 9.4 oz., but in the new catalog it's say's 6.6. Wonder which one is right because 9.4 sounds way to heavy and 6.6 sounds a little too lite to be possible for a reel with an aluminum frame at that price.

seems the weight went up on a few too the new proliet is 9.4 thats heavy for a low pro

I saw that too. On Bass Pro Shop's website they list the reel at 9.4 oz., but in the new catalog it's say's 6.6. Wonder which one is right because 9.4 sounds way to heavy and 6.6 sounds a little too lite to be possible for a reel with an aluminum frame at that price.

It's gotta be a misprint.  The Prolite Finesse is really nothing more than an ETX05 Extreme reel.  I'm thinking the printed weight is wrong on the ETX05 reel as well.  They've got it at 8.6oz which is the same weight as the ETX10, a reel which is quite a bit larger.  

the older "B" version of the prolite finesse is 7.9 oz. so, with the substitution of the stamped handle w/foam grips for the heavier forged handle with the rubber grips, it would have to be lighter. the drag star isn't as meaty either.

i also noticed they did something to the drag system too...the B version had 10lbs. max drag while this C version only has 8lbs. :)

i have both the A and B versions of the prolite finesse...great reels! but i don't like the changes to for this C version. it's like BPS is "decontenting" these reels while raising the price $20 but disguising everything as upgrades.