Sign in to follow this  
kickbasskid

Baitcasting soft plastics?

I got a new Citica for christmas but my main style of fishing is soft plastics and jigging. I was wandering if you guys think I should use a spinning setup instead. If not what kind of rod would suit my style.

kickbasskid,

95% of my jigging/worming I do with baitcasting equipment.  The exception being when there is a need for more of a finesse approach or when fishing lures 1/4 oz. and under.  This is just my personal preference.  As for the rod, I would go with a 7' medium heavy action with a fast tip.  Possibly even extra fast.  I would suggest taking your Citica with you to wherever you are considering purchasing your rod (or any nearby store if you buy online) and mating it with a few rods and see what balances and feels best to you.  

Jake

I fish all weightless soft plastics on spinning tackle,

specifically St. Croix ES70MF. The main reason is

to avoid the "professional overrun" that occurs on

baitcasters when the bait flies off! For weighted

presentations, this is not an issue.

8-)

I fish all weightless soft plastics on spinning tackle,

specifically St. Croix ES70MF. The main reason is

to avoid the "professional overrun" that occurs on

baitcasters when the bait flies off! For weighted

presentations, this is not an issue.

8-)

This usually happens to those who don't have an "educated thumb."  Or if that poor old thumb gets way too cold or sore from catching all those brown fish! ;D

I wouldn 't say for "weightless" soft plastics, I 'd say that for light weight soft plastics spinning tackle will do a better job than non finesse type baitcasters.

"Weightless" 5" senko = 3/8 oz ......... dude, any baitcaster can cast that.

"Weigthless" 4" grub < 1/8 th oz ----> better use a spinning reel.

I use both the Citica and Curado for weightless plastics. You'll be fine.

You should be fine down to any lure 1/4 oz or above.  You might have to "work your way down" to the lighter weights if that is what you want to do.  I just bought a Citica 201E a couple of weeks ago.  I LOVE my citica and plan to buy at least one more as soon as I can put the money together.  I bought it to cast lures 1/4 oz and over.  I'm still getting used to the reel since this is the first baitcaster I've owned in 30 years.  I also bought a Symetre for the light stuff below 1/4 oz. and to serve as a finesse/dropshot rig.  I may surprise myself but I didn't want to wait as long as I thought it might take to learn to cast weightless soft baits with the citica.  Besides, the frustration of THAT many birdsnests would probably make me hate fishing forever.  After two outings I haven't had a serious backlash yet but that was casting a 1/2 oz. Booyah football head jig.  My plan is to drop down to 3/8 oz jigs and then 1/4 oz jigs adjusting the 'weights' inside the reel as I go.  I have enough experience with Spinning gear to know that I can easily cast 1/8 oz or above with a spinning rig and decent line.

Congrats on your Citica and I hope you are as happy with yours as I am with mine.

Davo

Thanks for the replies. You guys have given me great answers to think that my reel will serve me greatly. I am excited to go get my new rod this weekend.  :)