Sign in to follow this  
Jaheff

Daiwa Advantage153hsta or Quantum energy pt?

DAIWA For sure, no question. I bought 2 of the TD-A 153 HSTA last season. Unbelievable reel for the price. I own Shimanos(back up reels) and an old Quantum (back up to the back up reels) For that price range there is no equal. My current #1 reels are the Zillions, I have 2 of those. But I have found myself grabbing the 153's before the Zillions. They IMHO feel smoother than anything else I own......Just my 2 cents.....

GET THE DAIWA You will not regret it.  

I have neither so take this for what it is worth.  Daiwa all the way.  I have several buddies who fish seriously and they swear buy them.  Every Daiwa I have ever picked up felt solid, well built and Quantums just dont.  Of all the reels out there today Quantum's seem to have more problems than any others.  I keep hearing that they have done a lot in the way of quality control but I havent fished any of their products recently .  I seriously considered Daiwas before going back to Shimano. Fish what you have confidence in and let what everyone else says just fade away.

Jake

Fish what you have confidence in and let what everyone else says just fade away.

The fellow posted asking for advice...

We have members that fish Quantum. The company's reputation over

the years has been tarnished by inferior products: design, components,

craftsmanship and quality control. However, some say that in the

last few years the brand has improved dramatically.

Daiwa has a reputation for precision engineering and consistently

delivering a high quality product.

I fish Shimano.

8-)

I bought two of the Daiwa HSTA's last year, and they are very good reels for the price. You can get them online at Delo's Tackle for $145, and they are a Bass Resource sponsor. I bought these reels to replace my 2 Quantum Accurist reels, and don't regret it one bit. I think you would be hard pressed to find a better reel for the money.    :)                                      

I have both an they are smooth an very good drags but for the money you really cant beat the Daiwa Advantage i uses mine a whole lot an never had a problem .

I don't have either but I have a couple of other Daiwa baitcasters in the Megaforce and the Cabelas Prodigy(made by Daiwa for Cabelas) and was looking into the hsta myself.

I tried it in Cabelas and felt ultra smooth and then read a review article on Tackletour.com and it will be my next baitcaster

Daiwa hsta is my vote

I have neither so take this for what it is worth. Daiwa all the way. I have several buddies who fish seriously and they swear buy them. Every Daiwa I have ever picked up felt solid, well built and Quantums just dont. Of all the reels out there today Quantum's seem to have more problems than any others. I keep hearing that they have done a lot in the way of quality control but I havent fished any of their products recently. Jake

Dude you have no idea what your talking about until you try it which I doubt you have ever pick it up and try it ::) Base on your comment you go by what other people said about the product on net instead of putting your finger on it ::)

Jaheff, if I were you I'd check both of them and see which one I like. If you like Dawia then great if you like Quantum then great. The only difference is brand name. If there's a problem with a reel then return it. It your call not others.

BassBandit35,

In the past I have fished with many quantum reels.  Just not the particular Quantum he was referring to.  And yes, they ALL tore up.  I have never owned a Daiwa but I have fished with them many times.  Like I said I have many friends who own them.  I was honest to say that I own neither but I have fished extensively with products from both companies as many of my friends use them.  So yes I do know what I am talking about.  I couldn't care less what someone else says about a product if it works for me personally. I dont just go on what other people say.   Hence the comment I made about fishing what you have confidence in.

RW

I assumed (possibly incorrectly) that Jaheff might have a preference on one of these two reels even though he asked for advice on them.  Sometimes I like to know what others think even when I have my own ideas.  Thats all that comment was meant to convey.

I had a quantam energy pt, it worked great for about 2 hours than it crapped out, then i took it back and got another one, and it crapped out after about 10 minutes, then i took that back and got a Shimano citica 200d, i couldn't be happier! it's worked flawelessly ever since  ;D Between those two i woud get the Daiwa, if you spend a little more money you could get a reel better than those two reels combined, a shimano curado 200e7  :) I just got one, and man i love my citica200d but my curado beats it in every aspect, smooth strong silent and reliant.

8-)

Jason

Thanks for the replys guys...

I did order the Daiwa Advantage from Delo.

Auburn I dont think RW meant anything about your comment.

To your defence I did have a preverance in one of the reels,

I already have last years Advantage and I love it! I like most

on here always think the grass is greener on the otherside.I just wanted some opinions from others who have owned both or used both.

I rarley heard the Advantage talked about on this forum.Thanks again for the reassurance guy's. I love this forum!!!!

I had a quantam energy pt, it worked great for about 2 hours than it crapped out, then i took it back and got another one, and it crapped out after about 10 minutes

Like I should believe it ::)

Have 3 of them since they came out. Not a single problem.

Quantum PT and Energy are NOT the reason Quantum has the "Quantum stigma" attached.  I've cleaned and maintained a couple of them, and a buddy loves his.  They are well made reels.  If they broken within minutes of using them, you doing something dreadfully wrong, or have incredibly bad luck.  I've seen the last generation model on sale locally for little as $100.  I have the less fancy Black Widow II's, which are like the old TD-A and now Tierra.  Great little reel - the TD-A HSTA Super Tuned is an AWESOME reel for the money.

The HSTA Super Tuned is an impressive reel.  I'd buy one in a minute.  

I have last years Energy PT (bought new in Dec for $95) & last years Advantage, both in left hand.

As for the Energy PT, it is a bit heavier than the Advantage. The centrifugal braking on the Energy PT is "touchy", not like how refined the centrifugal braking on Shimano baitcast reels. The Energy PT braking has to be dialed in right or it's birds nest. But the drag power on the Energy PT is 17-19 lbs depending on the Energy model. The Advantage drag power is 8.8 lbs. Shimanos are 10-15 depending on the model.

I got last years Energy PT cuz it's built tough & the multi-coloring of the body looks cool. I don't mind the weight of this reel & will use it part-time for light pike/musky fishing. The "touchy" braking isn't an issue when you are using lures over 1/2 oz. Lighter lures you have to dial in the braking.

The Advantage is smooth right out of the box. The mag braking makes adjustments easy. I don't have to keep dialing it in to get the right amount of braking to set it for most lures. I can cast 1/4 oz(dense) on up lures w/ the Advantage.

I do have to say that I am impressed w/ the 2009 Quantum reels. I am getting the 2009 Energy Tour PT b/c reel & the Energy PTi-B 30 spinning reel. I never thought that I would be wanting to buy a reel over $250 that wasn't a Shimano or Daiwa, but the Tour Energy PT b/c reel looks outstanding & trying one out at a BPS store felt great. I just hope Quantum have fixed the "touch" centrifugal braking from last years model. I know the "touchy" braking on last years Tour Energy was an issue. But as I watched fishing shows last year, KVD used the Tour Edition & Tour PT countless times. The new Energy PTi-B 30 spinning reel is lighter than last years model & still kept the multi-coloring frame.

Only thing about Quantum reels though they are made in China. Daiwa reels are made in Japan or Thailand, while Shimanos are made in Japan or Malaysia. I would have thought that even the upper end Quantums would have been made in Japan, not the case but China.

I really like the Advantage b/c reel for an all purpose reel & I'm sure the new Quantums will do just as well.

Quantum PT and Energy are NOT the reason Quantum has the "Quantum stigma" attached. I've cleaned and maintained a couple of them, and a buddy loves his. They are well made reels. If they broken within minutes of using them, you doing something dreadfully wrong, or have incredibly bad luck. I've seen the last generation model on sale locally for little as $100. I have the less fancy Black Widow II's, which are like the old TD-A and now Tierra. Great little reel - the TD-A HSTA Super Tuned is an AWESOME reel for the money.
 on my first one the anti reverse stopped working, before that it was awesome  my second kept making this weird sound when reeling and the gears got rough   i think i got some bad reels, all i'm saying is that i'll stick with shimano leave everyone else to play with quantams, i don't abuse my equipment and i clean and maintain them every month, i just like my shimanos better

---Jason

8-)

So, I guess its :) incredibly bad luck.  ::)

So, I guess its :) incredibly bad luck. ::)

Got that right :) haha i wasn't tryin to be an a** or anything if i came off that way i'm sorry,

-Jason