Sign in to follow this  
budaman

no specific reel brand

Are there any people on here that do not use any specific brand, they just see a reel they like and just get that rather its daiwa, quantum, abu, shimano, flueger ......... cause i just started with baitcasters and I'm just expirmenting just a quetion i was wondering :D :-?

I have pretty much just bought the type that had good reviews and good specs, also a good price helps persuade my decision. Like when the quantum tour editions went on sale last year for 100, i bought two. But if i find another reel with high quality for a low price it doesnt really matter the brand to me. Im sure people have better expierence with certain brands or how the customer service is for that brand, and thats why the stick with that one kind. Its a confidence thing.

Well, I use reels from the following companies: Daiwa, Shimano, Quantum, Abu Garcia, Pflueger, Bass Pro Shops, Cabelas, Gander Mt., Pinnacle, Orvis (Fly Reel), and Lamson (Fly Reel).  If I find a reel I like and can get a good deal on it, I buy it.  I am a little more brand loyal with rods (I mainly use G Loomis & Cabelas XML).

We have large numbers of members that use one brand only; many

that use several brands, but only those brands; and people who don't

care a thing about the brand.

I fish Shimano because every reel that I have owned has lived up to

the billing:

Strong, smooth, silent and reliant.

8-)

I have no brand loyalty when it comes to reels, I have Daiwa's, Shimano's, Abu Garcia's, Quantum's, and Pfluegers. Or for that fact rods either, as I have St Croix's, Fenwick's, Shimano's, Bass Pro, Berkley's. None of those companys pay me to exclusivly use there products so I don't. I have favorites, but even with that, if I find something I like I buy it, no matter what the brand. Now line, and hooks are another matter, I just can't bring my self to use anything other than Gamakatsu hooks, or (other than braid) any line other then Trilene in mono, copoly, or fluro.

While i'm not tied to one reel I prefer BPS Extreme Baitcasters. I have 6 BPS Extreme Reels, 1 pflueger spinning reel, 2 gander mtn spinning reel, 1 quantum bc, 1 shimano bc, 1 abu garcia bc

I also use a variety of reels Shimano, Daiwa, Abu Garcia Plueger and Quantum. I do prefer Shimano and Daiwa. As far as rods, I use St Croix, G Loomis, Daiwa, Shimano, Fenwick, Airrus and Dobyns. I prefer G Loomis, St Croix and Fenwick. Sometimes you just have to try a variety before you decide what suits your needs best.

Do the fish really care what you throw the lure with, or how fast and smooth you can bring them to the boat/bank.  I seriously doubt it!

For me, no loyalty to any piece of fishing equipment as long as it gets the job done.  And I have own the gambit of the stuff and from what I have seen, read, and used it more about the skill of the fisherman than it is about the name brand of the equipment.   I have always felt it all about bragging rights and less of getting fish in the boat.  But that's just my two cents.

BTW  My personal best fish catch ever, not in weight but in pure enjoyment of the ordeal of fighting the fish, a 16.5 lb flounder on Zebco 404 with 4lb test line in 1975.  I believe if i would have had a better rod/reel combo I would have forgotten about this many years ago

Better equipment makes the "fishing" more fun,

but has little effect on the "catching". At times certain

features such as exceptional drag systems come into

play, but by and large, it's about the Fun Factor!

8-)

last year, i went reel crazy and bought 2 quantums, 5 abu garcias, 4 daiwas, 7 shimanos, 3 pfluegers, 2 bass pro shops and 1 cabelas. i'm the type that has to see for myself what works for me and what doesn't. however, what i've found is that it's not as easy as i thought to switch between them all so i've been selling off many of my different reels and sticking with the one brand i found i liked the most.

They all make quality equipment at a certain price level.

Yep.

As someone who's sold many reels, new and used, it really comes down to personal taste.

Which reel brand feels best on the rod to you. Which manufacturer makes the features you like. Which reel looks the best to you.

Otherwise, stick with the name brands and you shouldn't have a problem with quality or reliability.

I don't have a particular preference will reels so much.  I will give anything I can afford a shot.  After a certain price point (which I will call around 150ish), I don't think you can go wrong with the majority of the offerings out there.  

Daiwa and Revo only.