Sign in to follow this  
uicdent11

Help: St. Croix Mojo Rods

I plan to buy a mojo and pair it with a 2500 Saros as my primary spinning reel. My question is, should I get the Medium or the Medium/Light? I will use it for drop shotting and throwing light/weightless plastics. According to the website the M/L is for drop shotting and the M for wacky. I feel that I want a little of both. I am leaning towards the ML because I really don't think I will be throwing anything over a 1/2 oz. which it still handles. I just don't want a rod that is too "wippy". Also, is it true that the same action is a little stiffer in the St. Croix's compared to the BPS rods? I currently use a BPS Bionic Blade MF. Thanks for the input guys.

I was looking at a Mojo recently but decided to get a Legend tournmant bass becasue of the lifetime warranty.  I will be using my rod for pretty much the same purpose as you described and I went with the medium power, fast action.  I've never had a BPS rod so i cannot judge I cannot compare the powers.  Good luck.

What are the lure and line weights.....

For me a drop shot rod needs to handle a little heavier weight than the other finesse baits

A Shakey/finesse rod and then a dropshot/tube rod is a good way to go IMO.....

I've got a Loomis SHR and it uses the same blank as the drop shot rod. I find it to soft for D/S.

I want to pick up the 7'6 Loomis Bronzeback rod for dropshotting and tube fishing.....It's only rated to 3/8oz but with a fast to XF tip it and 7'6 long it should have plenty of power.

With all that said, up to a 3/8 lure rating should serve you for both. I don't use lighter than a 3/8 weight for DSing in smaller lakes, and a rod like that should handle the lighter stuff too.....

If it's rated higher than that it may be stiff for the lighter lures/line.

I own both the wacky rig and the drop-shot mojo rods. I use the wacky rig for mostly shakey-heads and weightless flukes and i use the drop shot for drop shots and small split shot rigs. If I had to pick just one i would go with the wacky rig just because it could probally do a little more than the drop shot. But either way you won't be disapointed. Awsome rods and for the price they can't be beat. I know it sucks that they only have a 5 year warranty but I can look past that.

i shy away from the mojo spinning rods ... i prefer the avid spining rods ....

Thanks for the help. I think I am definitely going with a medium action rod. I just need to decide if I want the Mojo or the lifetime warranty and extra cash of the avid. I think I am going to see if anyone has an avid they are willing to sell. Thanks again.

I was all gung ho on Loomis because of the warranty.

I've broken ONE rod stretching back all the way to when I was a kid......I was loading it into my dads Suburban and the door slipped out of my hand......

I can't imagine many warranties would cover that anyhow.

I've broken ONE rod stretching back all the way to when I was a kid......I was loading it into my dads Suburban and the door slipped out of my hand......

Loomis and st croix warranties cover that...ship the borken rod to them +$50 and they'll send you a new one

Loomis and st croix warranties cover that...ship the borken rod to them +$50 and they'll send you a new one

I'm aware of that. But the IMO the shakey head rod is at least $50 overpriced.....So they cover their butt from the initial purchase.

Don't get me wrong. I love the rod. But at $150 I can buy a similar Rogue rod that is as light or lighter and as sensitive or more. And has a lifetime warranty.

Loomis has everyone beat in that they offer way more technique specific actions/lengths.

I do still want the 7-1/2ft Bronzeback spinning rod.

I'm aware of that. But the IMO the shakey head rod is at least $50 overpriced.....So they cover their butt from the initial purchase.

Don't get me wrong. I love the rod. But at $150 I can buy a similar Rogue rod that is as light or lighter and as sensitive or more. And has a lifetime warranty.

Loomis has everyone beat in that they offer way more technique specific actions/lengths.

I do still want the 7-1/2ft Bronzeback spinning rod.

???

He's saying its a $100 rod.  They get $50 extra up front, plus the $50 for replacement, so they get their total $100 for your replacement. I think that's what he's saying.

I think he's saying something like...the rod is priced at $100, but it's really only worth $50, so +$50 for st croix.  So if you go and get it replaced for $50 (st croix + another $50, total $100)

They give you a rod (-$50 for st croix) and they're still at +$50.

I agree that a rod at this price point doesn't make it really worth taking the accidental coverage into consideration.  However any rods above (Avids +) make it worthwhile.  

As far as my SHR 821 is concerned I DO think there are equivalents for a cheaper price.

The rod isnt a $220 rod. Part of that $220 is paying for the warranty.

I hear ya about the whippy tips,spent awhile look'n around for stout tip myself.I have your reel on a Compre that feels pretty good,6'6"-3/16 to 5/8ths(CPS-X66MB).L'il easier on the pocket too.Tried some of the Croixs'-Avids,Premier and Triumphs,ended up liking the Compre more.

Just bought a Medium 6'8 Crucial drop shot rod from someone on here. After doing a lot of research I feel I made a very good choice. I have not felt the rod in my hands, but I could not pass up the offer. I can't wait to try it out. 40 degrees and counting... up I hope.

I think he's saying something like...the rod is priced at $100, but it's really only worth $50, so +$50 for st croix. So if you go and get it replaced for $50 (st croix + another $50, total $100)

They give you a rod (-$50 for st croix) and they're still at +$50.

I agree that a rod at this price point doesn't make it really worth taking the accidental coverage into consideration. However any rods above (Avids +) make it worthwhile.

all i ever had to pay was 20 bucks for the return shipping of the new rod .... not sure where you get 50 ,, i never ever had any trouble or questions asked when i used croix warrenty .... ohh and i have used it a few times ,,, also every time i broke a rod it was my fault mainly car doors or one i rolled up in the window ...