Sign in to follow this  
20psi

Help buying a new topwater/jerkbait rod

Talked the girlfriend into buying me a new rod for my bday...actually she was ready to walk out the door with a CBR843 at BPS the other day but I told her to hold off till I figure out what I really need hehe. Thats where you guys come in! I also looked at the new mojo's and really like the price, especially for a reaction bait rod where sensitivity might not really be needed as much. My arsenal now consists of just a BSR852 GLX that I throw senkos with. As far as jerkbaits, I pretty much only throw pointers. Topwaters are spooks and sammys. I have expensive taste lol. So best rod for those applications would be great, but something I can use elsewhere would be a big bonus too.

Heres what Ive figured on so far:

CBR843 or CBR845 (not sure which one would be better, and if the moderate tip would work for me. I dont throw cranks very often)

MBR782 or 783 in IMX (would be a nice general purpose rod as well)

Mojo jerkbait rod, and then could also snag a mojo frog rod since they are so cheap and I need a H in my arsenal. I'll be getting that rod anyway too more then likely, no matter what I buy.

Any other suggestions? I really like loomis so I lean towards that, but wouldnt be opposed to looking at other rods. I get nice discounts on loomis too so that makes it nice.

The reel going on whichever rod will be a Chronarch B most likely, either that or the Chronarch BPV. Will be using 12lb test CXX copoly.

St Croix Avid AVC66MF

I like mine, too. This rod is very well suited for "working" topwater

lures and jerkbaits, but it can also be used for spinnerbaits and

buzzbaits.

8-)

I can get an IMX Loomis for the same price though, and the hat Im wearing would point me that route hehe. Like I said, huge loomis fan but I do plan on picking up a couple of the cheap mojo's for flipping, frogs, and stuff like that. I really just want the best jerkbait rod I can get, since I already have the best senko rod on the planet and those are my two main presentations hehe.

The MBR782c is what Im leaning towards, its a 6'6 Med Fast as well, so very similar to the avids you guys are usin'. Im just debating if I should get that or step up to the MBR783c for a better all around rod I can jig with too. Problem is it will need different line of course for that but I can always get another spool. This will be my first nice baitcaster, the one I have now is a big stiff BPS rod with a daiwa megaforce so Im trying to step up my game considerably hehe.

I bought my 782 for that exact application and it excels. Just make sure to follow the recommended weights that the 782 allows. If you're wanting to throw smaller jerkbaits, it doesn't cast as well, and a spinning rod is probably the way to go. The 783 is my favorite rod I have (until I finally buy the 844), but that's because I fish jigs and soft plastics quite a bit. I also use the 782 to for small to medium crank baits and rattle traps. I caught a 6 lber last year using the 782 with a small jig, and it handled her just fine.

I have a 782 GLX and it is awesome for pointers and small cranks like minus 1s I do throw some buzzbaits and it handle those well too. As long as you aint fishing near thick cover you should be good otherwise you may opt for the 783

Great responses thanks guys. That 782 sounds like the perfect rod for jerkbaits in my mind. Im still just kind of tossing that between a cbr843 though, simply because I already have a 7'1 med xtra fast GLX loomy for senkos. Wonder if maybe I should step up to the 783 and use that for heavier jigs as well. Will the 783 still throw pointers and topwaters like spooks well?

Personally, I went with with a 6 1/2 ft rod for jerkbaits so I wouldn't be splashing the water constantly. I'm 6'2 and it seem sot be the perfect length. I can't say I've thrown buzzbaits or jerkbaits on my 783, but I feel that the 782 would be better since the tip is a bit softer and the fish would better be able to engulf a treble hook type bait.