Sign in to follow this  
drop-shot fool

bass pro crankin sticks

Has anyone used these rods.  If so how are they.  I am going to be fishing shallow cranks in 2-6 ft of water.  Think a 7ft med action would work or do i need to fish a med-heavy.

They are good rods.  There are a lot of good reviews here for these rods.

If you are fishing cover in shallow water then go with the Medium Heavy.

If its open water, the medium is nice.

I use a 6'6'' M for all my shallow and medium crank needs...great rod at a great price....If you are fishing cover or structure...then the heavier rod would be beneficial.

Both my wife and I have had very good experiences using the BPS Crankin Stick.  We have about 12 between the two of us in M and MH.  Actually I have to credit her with getting me to use one.  We were in Ontario a couple of years back and she was just skunking me left and right.  She finally suggested I try one of hers, saying "You can just feel the hits better."  I was like "yeah right - you've been fishing for about 2 years...what do you know."  Well, crap - I finally used one of hers and S.O.B!!!!  I really could see a difference.  I don't know if it is the Fiberglass built into the graphite or what, but she made a believe out of me and my rod box now has a bunch of them.  Try one and see what you think.  They're not too expensive, although they've gone up this year - $69 when not on sale.  

I have two: a 6'6" M that I have used for 3 or 4 years for shallow and medium cranks, and a 7' MH I picked up this winter to use for deep divers. For the money you can't beat them...I bought both on sale and paid $29 for the older one and $39 for the new rod.

I forgot to mention that you should make sure to wait and catch them on sale.  

They seem to be on sale about 6 months out of the year and they are usually about half off.

I too like the BPS Crankin Sticks.

I use a 7' ML and it is outstanding for crankbaits under 1/2 oz.

I mostly throw 1/4 and 3/8 oz. plugs on 10-lb. line, and this is a great rod for this application. It also has just the right tip to throw smaller finesse crankbaits (1/8 oz. Speed-Traps, small Bandits) as well as balsa stickbaits. Outstanding rod to work jerkbaits, especially those lighter ones that are just a little hard to "dance" on heavier tackle.

This also makes a great walleye rod for rigging, jigging, or cranking. And, matched with an older Curado and quality mono - didn't break the bank and I don't mind taking it out in rougher conditions or down the river. Try one - I think you'll be happy with it. As previously mentioned, I wouldn't pay full price: mine was $29 back in '06.

I think they are one of the best values out there for a fishing rod. I prefer the medium for most applications, go to the medium heavy for hard pulling or heavier baits.

It's a very good rod, especially for the price. This week they will be on sale at the BPS Classic. I fish 3'-10' of water most of the time and the Medium works fine for me.

Falcon