Sign in to follow this  
Avalonjohn44

Rod Selection - Multi-Purpose

I'm trying to find a nice rod for my Daiwa Viento reel that I got for Christmas. I don't have more than $100 - $120 to spend, and I want a multipurpose rod for everything from worm fishing to cranks and spinnerbaits. The one I've had my eye on is s St Croix 7foot MH power with a fast tip. Is this the proper rod to go with do you think, or should I go shorter with a softer tip?

I can't use the same rod for worms/jigs and spinnerbaits as I do for cranks.  I use the MHF for most stuff and M for cranks.  So for me it would depend on how much I planned to fish the baits listed.

I'm trying to find a nice rod for my Daiwa Viento reel that I got for Christmas. I don't have more than $100 - $120 to spend, and I want a multipurpose rod for everything from worm fishing to cranks and spinnerbaits. The one I've had my eye on is s St Croix 7foot MH power with a fast tip. Is this the proper rod to go with do you think, or should I go shorter with a softer tip?

The rod you're looking at will be fine:

http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishing_forums/YaBB.pl?num=1196114229

8-)

Thanks RW!  I'm going to Gander today.

My buddy throws cranks with a very similar rod, and thinks I'm crazy for using moderate action rod, LOL.  Its all what you get used to.  For years and years, 6 to 7' MH/F rods were all I used for bass fishing, both spinning and casting.  That St. Croix will last you a lifetime if used properly.

In that price range I would also check out a Fenwick HMG. Lifetime warranty and super light and sensitive. Lots of good choices in that price range though.

In that price range I would also check out a Fenwick HMG. Lifetime warranty and super light and sensitive. Lots of good choices in that price range though.

Happy with my Fenwick