Sign in to follow this  
SuthernHaze

line rating on rod and yo-zuri hybrid

since say 12 pound test yo-zuri hybrid has the strength of like 19 pounds ... should u use a lower pound if you rod line rating only goes up to say 17 pounds so that the line will break before your rod

You can fish 10 to 100# line on that rod, just set your drag accordingly.  3-5 pounds of resistance is a good range.  I usually stay close to the lower number, unless I 'm fishing heavy cover.

I'll add that I generally choose line by line diameter and application.  For cranking, I generally go with 8 or 10# copoly.  For general worm and jig, I like 12 or 15# copoly.  Jerkbaits and topwater get 12#.   My choices are based on my preference and experience.  You have a lot of wiggle room there, but suffice it to say, you can get most anything done with 12# Yo-Zuri.

since say 12 pound test yo-zuri hybrid has the strength of like 19 pounds ... should u use a lower pound if you rod line rating only goes up to say 17 pounds so that the line will break before your rod

Break strength =/= lb. test

Do you mean Break Strength <> Lb. Test?  (as in <> means does not equal)

Given Yo-Zuri's break-point versus the test, I usually fish a lower test than I would if I were fishing pure mono.  The smaller diameter makes casting easier and lets lures like cranks reach deeper depths.

I've spooled my Daiwa Sol that I intended to use for lighter cranks with 8# Yo-Zuri (probably would have chosen 10# if using pure mono).    8# Yo-Zuri breaks at 12#.  

I've spooled my Zillion High Power that I use for deep diving cranks with 10# Yo-Zuri (would have chosen 12-15# if using pure mono).  10# Yo-Zuri breaks at 16.5#   I have my Daiwa Sols I use for jerking jerkbaits, spinnerbaits, etc spooled with this.

I've spooled reels I use for worms, bigger wake baits, ripping big jerkbaits, medium/heavy jigs, c-rigs and other heavier applications with 12# Yo-Zuri (probably would have used 15# in pure mono).  12# Yo-Zuri breaks at 19.5 pounds.  

I've spool my reel I used for flipping with 15# Yo-Zuri.  Probably would have used 20# mono.  15# Yo-Zuri breaks at 21.5#.   I've also got my frog reel spooled with this.   I like Yo-Zuri on my frog rig.  It's got very little stretch, is plenty strong, and doesn't seem to get tangled in the tall water lilies I fish as easily as braid.

I'm confused. I would think that for optimum performance you would use a line within the company suggestion printed on the rod blank. For instance if I am using power pro on a rod that is rated for 12-20lb test, wouldnt I want to get a power pro in an equviliant diameter as mono?

I'm talking about lure performance.  

I'm confused. I would think that for optimum performance you would use a line within the company suggestion printed on the rod blank.

There is no industry standard for line diameters. There is also no industry standard for rating rods... more often then not, it's only the suggestion of the guy(s) who field tested that blank. And since no 2 of us fish exactly alike, it's only a guideline.

For instance if I am using power pro on a rod that is rated for 12-20lb test, wouldnt I want to get a power pro in an equviliant diameter as mono?

The more important (and safest) thing is to set the drag to a percentage of the rod's line ratings.... (set it like you had ~ #12-#14 mono in that example since it's in the low-mid range) The no stretch aspect of braid accounts for more broken rods than you'd care to believe.

As to the OP, use common sense and set your drag as a percentage of the lower of these: the rated line strength or the rods line rating. So if your Yo-Zuri falls above the rods ratings, set the drag as if you were using line that complies with the ratings. But if you are within specs, set it to the line rating not break strength and you won't have to worry much about breaking the rod or line on a fish.