Sign in to follow this  
Saladmander

Abu C3, C4, or D6?

I've been looking to get a swimbait setup and was wondering about these Abu reels. Which of these three would be the best reel to get for a swimbait rod? The rod I'm thinking about will more than likely be the LTB 7'9" Heavy. I'm leaning toward the D6 because it's lighter than the other two when comparing the same size reel. I'm just not sure if I'll regret not having the lower gear ratio of the C3. I know a little about the C3 and C4 but know nothing about the D6. What do you guys think? Any input will be much appreciated.

One more thing... what size would be better, the 5600 or 6600?

I'm not dead set on these three reels either if anyone would like to make some better suggestions that will accomodate the line size and capacity that'd be good for a swimbait setup.

Oh, and the swimbaits I have are in the range of 4-8".  Weights vary from 3/4 oz. to somewhere around 3 oz. I believe.

A 6600 series c3, for the low gearing you speak of. You can always add a bearing later if need be...

I prefer the 5600 series, it has more line capacity than you will ever need.  I have several c3's and c4's and I prefer the c4's they are smoother and just feel better, just my personal preference.  They are both awesome reels that don't cost a lot of $.

I agree, the 5600 is all you need.   The 6500 is overkill.

I have two C4s (a 5600 and a 6600) and a D6 5600. I recommend the C4 5600 for your swimbaits, and agree that the 6600 would be a bit of overkill, except on the 8"+ size baits.

The C3 5600 would be fine, though, since you want the lower gear ratio.

I really like my D6 5600 for crankbaits. However, it has more plastic inside than the C3 or C4 and I don't think it would hold up well using heavy baits.  

It' really only a question of line capacity.

The 4600, 5500-6500 reels all have the same internal parts. Only exception being the 6 series reels have a 'baitclicker'...

Thanks for all the input.  I may just go with a C3, 5600 series.  I have a feeling that I will appreciate the lower gear ratio of the C3 more so than the additional bearings in the C4.  Do you think that the C4 is that much smoother than the C3?

The C3's and C4's feel pretty much the same....

I don't know about the swimbaits you are going to use, but with musky lures, the C4's even at 6.3.1 are to fast for heavy resistance lures. Crankbaits, bucktails etc. You can really feel the loss of power when using musky lures.

I use the 5600C4's for jerkbaits hard and soft and topwaters, C3's for cranks/bucktails