Sign in to follow this  
smokejayz

how many of you use a longer frog rod?

so ive seen all the frog rods ranging from 7 footers to 7'4.. do any of you use flippin sticks?  7'6 or longer?   how much of a difference for frogging between a rod that's 7'3 and one that is 7'6?

anyone? also how does an extra fast tip affect frog fishing? i wouldve thought you would want more of a moderate-fast tip so you dont pull the frog out of the mouth of the fish..  oh yeah i forgot to mention i was looking at either a powell 735 mh or 765 mh

I use my flippin' stick for frogs, an FS904 IMX which is 7'6" and I love it but I have also used 7' rods for frogs that worked quite well also. Personally though, I would definately go with heavy instead of med. heavy. Even a two pound bass requires a lot of power to get in when its dragging 20lbs of grass in with it. A med. heavy is just to light IMO.

I prefer longer and heavier to impart as much leverage as possible on the fish.  Its a "tip up" presentation, so a longer rod is not an issue.

I use a 8' XXH carrot stick gold for the really really nasty stuff. and a 7'6H when im around just pads and what not or matts that arent really really thick

I use a 734 Powell 7'3" which is probably lighter than most folks.

Works for me.

I use a 66ft MH if I walk the bank and a 7ft MH of the boat. The lakes I fish most of the time don't require Heavy rods ( weeds are not that bad, no docks or other heavy snags). Also, the fish are not that big !!! :-/

PS: I like a rod that has a "softer" feel, presently using Fenwick HMGs , they are not as "crisp" as other higher end rods.

i use a 7'6H carrot stik for my froggin... does me just fine ... its got plenty enough power to haul em out of grass and mats

I use the St. Croix Legend Tournament 7'6" MH Moderate-Fast for my frog rod with 50 pound Sufix braid.  I have had excellent success with this rod and miss far less fish with the slight give in the tip, however Croix's tend to a be a little on the stiffer side though.

I use a 7' 6" flippin stick for frogs. You want that long stout rod for good hook sets in the slop where frogs are most effective!