Sign in to follow this  
Georgia Jeff

Is there a cheap way to shave weight off a Curado E?

I may be purchasing a 200E7 sometime in the future and was wondering is there a cheap way to take some weight off the reel w/o spending a fortune.  I love my MG50 but want a high speed retrieve.

Jeff,

Interesting question.

I can't wait to read the replies.

Honestly,  I leave all reels as they are due to the engineering that is invested in each one.

I have never even thought about altering any reel.  :)

Apples and oranges.

The MG 50 is a Magnesium framed reel. Curado = Aluminum.

The spool on the MG is also smaller. Any sort of Blingy, lightweight handle will set you back some bucks.  At 7.6oz, not sure how much lighter you could make the thing or why for that matter.

Apples and oranges.

The MG 50 is a Magnesium framed reel. Curado = Aluminum.

The spool on the MG is also smaller. Any sort of Blingy, lightweight handle will set you back some bucks. At 7.6oz, not sure how much lighter you could make the thing or why for that matter.

X2

Its not that it is heavy, its just once you fish with a 50mg it ruins you.  I was hoping to make a change such as a different handle or spool and shave an ounce or so off it for a decent price.  

Nothing better than having a reel you consider PERFECT.

Georgia Jeff,

Nothing better than having a reel you consider PERFECT.
When you find one let us all know. I have been on the insides of Shimano®, Daiwa®, Garcia®, And Quantum® reels for 23+ years now and haven't seen the perfect one yet..

I am reel curious as to what it will be.....

Good luck in your search...  

A shimano 50mg with a 30 inch retrieve would be perfect in my opinion.

Anybody got any ideas on how to trick one out to shave some weight.

is there a cheap way to take some weight off the reel w/o spending a fortune.

own a drill?   ;D

Leave the reel as is and start pumping some iron.  I use an 18 oz Avid on a 9 ft surf rod and cast that for hours.

It would be theoretically possible, in a machine shop, to remove material here ans there. But, you'd have to have a machinist in the family; somebody who would be willing to work cheap for you.

I just cleaned up one of those for a buddy of mine. Going from memory I don't see much you can do.

The brake side plate is graphite. You don't want to be whittling on that.

The handle side plate seems to be just what is needed, and not much more. Any machining in that area would accomplish more in the way of weakening than weight reduction. Ditto for the frame. There's just not that much extra material anywhere.

Your best bet would be a carbon fiber handle and compressed cork knobs. That will set you back $100+. I haven't seen a lighter weight "tuning" spool for this reel, but I haven't been looking. That would be you're only other possibility. If there is one, it's going to be in the $80-100 range.

That's quite a few bucks to spend, and you'll still be no where near the Mg weight.

I'd say leave well enough alone, and do a few "12oz curls" to build up your wrists. ;D