Sign in to follow this  
BMoore

Help me build 3 combos please.

Hey guys, I'm trying to get 3 combos put together here in the next couple of weeks and I need a little help.

Last year I bought a citica 200 and a st. croix triumph medium/fast and I've been using that setup for everything. Now the bug has bit and I'm doing a lot more fishing and I'm gonna be doing a lot more boat fishing this year. I'm gonna need at least 2 more setups.

Please recommend rods and reels and what baits to throw with em for me. I'm thinking the setup I have now should be a pretty good spinner bait setup but if I'm wrong let me know.

So the other 2 I think I need is 1 for jigs and soft plastics and 1 for cranks and lipless cranks. My father in law is gonna set me up with a carolina rig setup for my fourth.

I've been thinking a ch50mg and a mh/f or xf for plastics and jigs

I've been thinking a core or ??? for my cranking but don't know which rod to go with. Please recommend which brand of rod I should go with in the 150 dollar range on both setups.

Also will I be able to throw all different size crankbaits on my crank setup or will my small ones need to be thrown with one of the other setups? Same thing on my worm setup. Will my heavier pig and jigs be thrown on the same setup as my lighter plastics?

I know this is a lot of questions so thanks in advance guys.

i have asked these questins myself before,,,, to me you have a good spinnerbait set up yes,,, and i would say the rod that you use for texas rigged worms will work for light jigs i mean both have the same hooks,   howevr you need what i call a treble hook rod for crankbaits jrkbais or top waters and tha is just a medium to medium heavy rod with moderate action.......

Your current rig is best suited for single hook,

"moving lures". Examples are buzzbaits, spinnerbaits,

small swimbaits and grubs.

A second rod would be for jigs and soft plastics. In

your price range, St. Croix Avid AVC68MXF would be

a good choice. This would match up nicely with either

the Core or CH50MG.

The third rod is for all medium weight treble hooks,

including topwater, jerkbaits and crankbaits. I suggest

looking at the Avid AVC66MF, which is my "all-around"

baitcaster. Mine is saddled with a Core, but again, the

CH50MG is another option and a GREAT value!

Good luck and WELCOME ABOARD!

8-)

Thanks fellas. Should I just stick with the 6.**:1 ratio for all 3 of these or is there 1 where i need to go lower?  Also will the core be ok as far as how much heavier test line it can hold for my big cranks?

Hey RoadWarrior, I see your from Germantown. I'm really close to you in Olive Branch MS. Good to see someone local.

Neither the Core or the CH50MG will hold much heavy line. If

you intend to fish line with a diameter over .013" (12 lb test),

you probably need a different reel. I fish Yo-Zuri Hybrid #12

(.013" diameter, 19.5 lb test).

p.s. We'll have to get together and fish sometime.

8-)

Man, this stuff gets confusing. :-/  I use trilene 14lb test right now. Which reels would you recommend? Or should I just throw smaller test? I really like the ch and the core and so many people are using em that tells me I should be ok with lower test right?  

I'm up for fishing anytime I'm awake. ;D

As long as your aren't throwing 3/4 oz cranks all day, I would recommend 2 mg's. I picked up two lefties this year and I am a noob when it comes to baitcaster, oh boy do I love these little things. I have #12 Yo-Z on one and #10 Floroclear on the other. I like the strength of hybrid, especially for the diameter, but I needed to use up my floroclear so I figured I'd put it on to start the year. I have always used BPS rods, but recently picked up a crucial spinning rod and I love the sensitivity. Take a look at their casting rods and I am sure you won't be disappointed. Also, I have never tried an Avid, but I hear great things about them every time I get on here. :)

Ok guys I've been doing some research on the Carrot Stix Gold.  Any recommendations there. I'm thinking a 7' MH/F for the plastics and jigs and a 7' M/M for the cranks. What say you? Still trying to decide on reels as well. It's the line capacity thats holding me back.

I would recommend Bass Pros Extreme or Bionic Blade rods. Extremes are $100 and Bionic Blades are $80. They are actually on sale now, just saw, Bionic blades are $50 and Extremes are $80.  I think they are really excellent.  I would stay away from Bass Pro reels thought.  I have a Citica too, you may look at getting another one if you like yours now.  I personally love mine. I have an ardent reel too, very very nice.  bass Pro has the ardent Flip-n-Pitch, it would probably be ideal for jig fishing.  They are American made with a 3 year warranty.  I personally love my ardent, casts like a dream and is very smooth.