Sign in to follow this  
twitchfish

Heavy Extra-Fast Team All-Star

I would like to re-ask/re-word a previous question, please.

I have a 6'10" Team All-Star Heavy Extra-Fast rod that I got for the primary purpose of .....needed it, I guess.  I purchased a BPS Extreme wide spool reel (had some gift cards I used up) and spooled it with 20# PowerPro.  I was taught this was a great frog rod that could also be used for heavy c-rigs, t-rigs, big spinner and buzz baits also. Correct?

Now, the real question.  The rod is rated for 1/2 to 1 1/2 oz lures, i fish frogs without a weight, are they then too light for this set-up?

I apologize for beating this, but I am confused.

Thanks in advance -  Twitch

Have you tried casting one. I would think a frog might weight about 5/16 oz. Might not be a problem as long as you let the bass have the bait before you set the hook.

I would like to re-ask/re-word a previous question, please.

I have a 6'10" Team All-Star Heavy Extra-Fast rod that I got for the primary purpose of .....needed it, I guess. I purchased a BPS Extreme wide spool reel (had some gift cards I used up) and spooled it with 20# PowerPro. I was taught this was a great frog rod that could also be used for heavy c-rigs, t-rigs, big spinner and buzz baits also. Correct?

Now, the real question. The rod is rated for 1/2 to 1 1/2 oz lures, i fish frogs without a weight, are they then too light for this set-up?

I apologize for beating this, but I am confused.

Thanks in advance - Twitch

I think you'd be surprised how much soft plastics weigh when they're rigged. A 7" Power Worm, 1/8 oz bullet weight, and 3/0 hook weigh about 3/8 oz. according to my little digital shop scale, which is usually fairly accurate. A solid-bodied soft plastic frog/toad will weigh quite a bit more.

I think that rod will be fine.

i purchased this exact rod and put a revo s  on it,,, and was wondering exact same thing ,,,,,what i got to try was a 3/8 oz spinnerbait and was amazed how far i could chunk the thing,,,,, i dont know about frogs without a weight but it wouldn't surprise me ,,,,, im gonna rig up my rage shad witha 5/0 hook and try to throw it with this rig myself ...........

I put one of ***'s "Strokin' Toads" on my little scale, and it weighs in at a whisker less than 1/2 oz. Rigged on a large EWG hook, and it'll be over 1/2 oz.

It will cast fine, put a large heavy wire(gamakatsu superline or Monsterhook) EWG hook and you will be able to cast good distances.

I spooled, or thought I had spooled 20#PowerPro, but in looking at my spooler, might have been 30#. Rod is rated to 25#, I think, I can't think this is a problem, but if it is, can someone chime in please?

The rod has Fuji concept guides. Certainly, they are more than man enough for some braided line?

Thanks again - Twitch

That is what your drag is for.  I use up to 80# braid on my heavy cover rods.  I think my flipping stick is rated for 30# line.

Like everyone else has stated, just put a EWG super line hook on there. I cast my frogs on 4/0-5/0 Gamakatsu hooks with a 7' 6" H/F flippin stick sometimes!   :)