Sign in to follow this  
STK001

P-Line-castability

I've been using the P-Line CXX 17lb moss green line for Swimbaits and spinnerbaits. The Swimbait reel is my Shimano Cardiff and it casts fairly well on this reel. However I've noticed that it doesn't get near the distance it should on my Pflueger Patriarch that I use for spinnerbaits...now this reel has a narrow spool. It is a high quality reel and certainly isn't cheap. I feel it should be casting a mile even with smaller baits. No matter how it's adjusted it just doesn't get a ton of distance. Could it be the P-Line? That's what I think. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Casting distance is full of variables...   could be the rod, reel, line, bait weight, bait shape (aerodynamics) and more.

However...

If that's the reel you bought from me and you think there is an issue with it-  send it to ReelMech and if he finds a problem I'll pay for the repairs.

No, the Cardiff casts well. I think it's designed to handle that type of line. The Patriarch may not be designed for that. I am using on the Fenwick Elite Tech Target/Spinnerbait rod. It could be the flex of the rod I suppose. I just felt that maybe a lower diameter line such as spiderwire which I've found to cast very well would work better with this reel. Any suggestions as far as line that you find to cast very well?

Thanks.

Stuart

Well, I haven't liked the p-line cxx (on any of the rods/reels I've used it on) because of the memory...  I also use Sufix Seige and Trilene XT in #20 and both cast better, IMO.  You might try one of them or just spool up something that you have to see if that cures it.

Any line in a lesser diameter (or softer compound) would cast better.  The problem is that when you hook a good one in the junk.  It's always a trade off of some sort.

Also, that reel has so little use on it that it might just need to be broken in a little...  

Forgot to mention weather...  the p-line was WAY WORSE when temps were chilly.  It might be great in the summer.   :)

Put some KVD L+L on it.  I was using 20# CXX on a cardiff 400 throwing a 6" hudd.  After putting the KVD on it I gained at least another 20ft of casting on it.  

Good point. You know it may just be the P-Line. You're right about the memory too. I think I'll take it off all of the reels and try something else. I'll say that Suffix hasn't been a winner with me either but I've only tried the Elite, not the Seige. I may give it a whirl! Thanks!

Stuart

I put on 15lb P-Line on my Abu Garcia bait caster reel a month ago and did not like it. IMO.  I also did not like the memory on the P-Line. I seem to have to many issues with P-Line. Then again it could have been the user. LOL!! I switched over to my pfluger set up and my other Abu Garcia set up  that have trilene and seen a difference.  I am not a big fan of P-Line. However that is just my opinion.

I would suggest trying the CX Premium...less memory than CXX and casts very well...I use 12lb Flouroclear in my 64LP and currently have 15lb CXX on my 71LP...the CXX is ok on the 71 but plan on switching it to CX or Flouroclear and am going to put 15lb on my 71WLP when I get it setup for jigs and 10'' worms.

I have either 10 or 12lb CXX on my Supreme which is for spinnerbaits and really have no problems with the smaller size.

Posted by: Branuss04 Posted on: Today at 4:40pm

Put some KVD L+L on it.

x2

Thanks for all of your responses guys, I appreciate it. I think the verdict is in, CXX is out. I am happy to hear that it's not just me or my equipment. My equipment is pretty darn good so I had ruled that out in the beginning....as for me, well I constantly question that :) Good fishing to all of you and be safe on the water!

I think it might be the combination of the 17Lb CXX, which has a way larger diameter the most 17lb test lines and the narrow spool reel with a spec. of 100 yards of 12lb test. I would think the wide spool version would be better suited to the larger diameter line.

I use 10lb cxx for moving baits ,,, however heir 10lb is like most 15 ,,,,i use the floroclear in larder diameter nd like it