Sign in to follow this  
KGBass

Browning rods

i have a Medallion GT 6'10" Med Hvy. i liked the rod for plastic worms but........

the handle is too short for me. ive tried heavy and light reels and to me its too tip heavy.

Their rods are a lot better than their reels.  In fact, the rods are pretty good for the money.  I had a few Medallions and a Citori.  Like you, I found the Medallion a bit heavy.  But they were well constructed and sensitive.  The Citori was very good.  Mine were older models with Alconite guides.  I broke the tip off in my ceiling fan.  Up until then, I liked it a lot.

I have a Medallion 6' light 2-pc that I use as one of my kayak river rods.  It's my favorite rod for that purpose, but it's also the most expensive (I believe I paid $50).  Those rods get taken apart alot, and go through some pretty rough treatment sometimes.  It still stays together well & has held up to the abuse.

As a kid I had a $50 or so Browning probably about 10 years ago. It didn't seem like a bad rod, but I never caught a single fish on it. :-[ Somehow it shattered into a few pieces after falling over on a parking lot. Soon after I got another rod and I've been catching fish ever since. I caught fish before on a Zebco and after on my first St. Croix, but never on that Browning. :)

The 7ft Silaflex makes an ideal cheap crankbait rod...I an older have a medalion that I keep in the boat for my friends to use, but it is heavy and not very sensative.

I have a Midas 6'6" MF Spinning rod.  I like it :).  It's sensitive and very light.  It will launch a 1/4 oz crank a country mile.  I do think it is slower than my other fast action rods.  It is ideal for cranks.  However, I wouldn't pay full price for it.  There are better options at that price range.  It used to go on sale for $99, and that was a good value.  Based on my limited experience with other rod brands, Fenwick Techna AV rods are superior rods and with some work you may find them for <$150.  I like the ergonomics of the Midas better than the Fenwick HMG, but on sale the HMG may be a better value and offers a better warranty.