Sign in to follow this  
reddragon

7' MF St.croix Avid

would this be a good rod for Rat-l-traps,rap. x-raps, topwater mostly zara spooks,plastic worms, senkos??

and would a TDA 153hsta reel accomodate this rod well thanks lmk before i purchase

The AVC70MF or AVS70MF will make a fine all around rod, but

particularly for all single hook lures (spinnerbaits buzzbaits and

soft plastics).  After that, consider the AVC66MF for your next rod.

This is my all around rod for treble hook lures.

8-)

I have a custom AC70MF and AC66MF I use for weightless jerkbaits (Zulu), light weight spinnerbaits, and light weight buzzbaits, trebled tops pop-r, chugbugg, etc.

All with 1994 upgraded greenie curado 201's on them...

Great rods and blanks...

Tight Lines!!!

That rod would be good for the applications you are looking at.  A 7' medium in the Avid series is a great all around rod.  The TDA 153hst is an equally impressive reel in my opinion.  I use that exact reel for traps and love it.  I might go with a medium heavy for the worms, depending on the cover you are fishing.  

ya i just ordered the rod, but i have no reel at the moment i was looking on ebay for some used revo stx's and curado d's and e's and they weren't all the bad on the ending bids...  i just dont know which one to pick, by the way if anyone is selling a extremely good condition left handed baitcasting reel please let me know im very interested in getting a reel so i can finally start my 1st baitcasting experience.

I don't know if this reel is a little out of your price range, but I would highly recommend a shimano chronarch 51mg. They are currently on sale for $186 at ***.com. I'm also a noob to baitcasters, but this reel makes learning easy and fun. Impossible to backlash and throws lighter (1/4 oz) lures/plastics with ease. I felt it was so easy to learn on that I bought one for my wife. If it is out of your price range, any of those you mentioned should work great. I would recommend a shimano as I find their braking system is a lot easier to get used to.

I would also add that a Daiwa Sol could be another option especially in the price range of those you've listed. Seems that they are going for $140-160 lately. Good luck.

I don't know if this reel is a little out of your price range, but I would highly recommend a shimano chronarch 51mg. They are currently on sale for $186 at ***.com. I'm also a noob to baitcasters, but this reel makes learning easy and fun. Impossible to backlash and throws lighter (1/4 oz) lures/plastics with ease. I felt it was so easy to learn on that I bought one for my wife. If it is out of your price range, any of those you mentioned should work great. I would recommend a shimano as I find their braking system is a lot easier to get used to.

I would also add that a Daiwa Sol could be another option especially in the price range of those you've listed. Seems that they are going for $140-160 lately. Good luck.

thanks for your advice, ill surely look into the sol and the mg is a little too high for me though

Something else to consider might be going with a St. Croix Mojo Bass or Premiere rod and then invest in a Shimano 51MG.  These reels are awesome and as uicent11 said they are darn near impossible to backlash and so ultra smooth and nice.

Just something else to consider.

Later, :)

man you guys are making me want to grab the mg51 now haha.. i might just get it but i was thinking about a revo sx for about 120shipped new on ebay instead its a lot cheaper and has good reviews also.. how much does the mg51 outperform the revo sx series and citica e, curado e?? or is there no considerable differences??

I've thrown 3 of the 4 you mention. Curado, SX, and Mg. Again, I am a noob and not an expert tackle reviewer, but I can give you my honest opinion still.

Revo SX: Fished it a little last year when I before and after I switched to LH retrieve. It did take a lot more fine tuning to get used to the braking system. Once you got it dialed in it is a great reel. But, if you change the weight of your lure, you will probably need to readjust the settings each time. It does have the best drag of the 3 reels.

Curado E: Only used it for 2 days this year before selling it for the reason I will state. It somehow caused a blister to form on my right hand when casting. I have not heard anybody else have this problem, but I did. Besides that, the reel is extremely smooth and the braking is great. Not as finicky as the SX, but both are just as smooth. The E does have a lot more power than the Mg and similar to the SX.

Chronarch Mg: The reel weighs the least and 2oz less than the next lightest (Curado). It is great for throwing anything from 3/16 oz up to 1/2 oz. It is very smooth and although it has a lesser bearing count than say the SX, each of the 5 bearings are high grade A-RB. Like I said before, this reel is a great reel to learn on and I am sure I will have mine for many years to come.

I think adclem brought up a great point about getting a mojo or premier to save money for the Mg. I think they are both made on the same blank and you can decide if you like the split grip or not. This is the route I would go. And actually, I am thinking about upgrading from my BPS bionic blade (way to heavy for my mg) to one of these two or avid in the near future. Keep us posted on what you end up doing.

I forgot to add that I did just get a Sol, but it is still in the mail. So I can't really compare yet. I think you can demo them for the cost of shipping from *** as well.

well im off to a spring break vacation, so by then i hopefully will be ready to purchase a reel, in the meantime leave stuff for me your thoughts and opinions would all be well appriciated thanks..

well thanks guys i guess i just bought the 51mg so hopefully my set-up will work well together 7' m avid w/ 51mg wish me luck haha

just got back from spring break and guess what!!! the mail came... i received my 7'MF avid w/ the chronarch 51mg i bought on tackleware house, im pretty excited but still pretty scared because im new to baitcasting don't know how its going to work out... well im planning to switch over to baitcasting with this set-up so i guess practice better make perfect wish me luck...

just took my set-up fishing this morning at 7-12 at a local lake loved it got used to the reel really fast, the only thing was that i lost 2 keeper and above stripers due to poor hook sets and was wondering if it was my 7' avids fault or the lure??? im a pretty experienced fisherman so my hooksets a pretty good just dont know why i lost 2 fish that i usually catch... btw i was using a 1/2 ratltrap and a x-rap, but on the bright side i had a second rod set-up with anchovies and brought in a nice 30incher :) other than that the first fishing experience with a baitcaster set-up was pretty fun..  also is the chronarch supposed to flick so much water onto my hands and reel and the bar where the eye of the spool slide had some white grease gunk on it is this normal??