Sign in to follow this  
Hatty

Avid, Powell, E21 Carrot, AiRRUS (or something to pair with my new MG51)

Anyone ever used an AiRRUS Co-Matrix? I understand from tackletour.com that the rod is slightly heavier then high-end rods but for $89 on *** it seems like a great deal, at a great price, with super reviews. It was also best in show in 2002... I know a ton has changed from then.

Want to pair a rod with my new Shimano MG51 that the board helped me with...

The other rod I am looking at is a Powell Max Casting at $139...

Thoughts?

Two more rods to throw into the mix...

1) G. Loomis GL2

2) E21 Carrot

So..

1) Airrus Matrix

2) Powell Max

3) G. Loomis GL2

4) E21 Carrot

Or any other top rec's under $200 in price...

The other rod I have heard a lot about on this board is the Avid... I found the AVC70MF for $129 at ***.com seems like a great deal over the typical $170 price.

Sorry to hog the board with questions and comments

Fishing for bass.

Just kidding.

On my baitcaster I typically throw: spinner, crank, and buzz...

I typically favor a medium/fast setup because I tend to cast better with that setup... I am really interested in what is the best brand/rod available under $200 that can handle a variety of baits.

thanks for the insight

I have a couple Powell's and absolutely love them.  Having said that, I would actually recommend the Carrot Stix.  They have a really nice action for throwing cranks and so on.  The main reason I am suggesting the E21 is because they are the lightest rod on the list and I believe it would compliment your 51mg awesomely.  If you have a super light reel, you might as well get a rod to match.

Good luck.  Let us know what you decide on.

Thanks Tom, do you know the actual weight difference between the two?  The Powell looks like is is constructed better...  how have your Powell's held up?  

Right now I am leaning towards either the 7' med/fast avid for $129, the Powell Max $139 and E21 Original for $149...

Very tough choices; anyone else have a vote?

The Powell is a light rod as well.  I can only comment on the 7' Heavy powered rods though.  Those things are built like tanks and have a ton of high quality features.  They are actually outfitted better than the Carrots they just aren't as light.

If you got it narrowed down to the E21, the Avid and the Powell, you simply cannot go wrong with either.  If I am correct, they are all backed by subperb warranties and excellent customer service.

Two more rods to throw into the mix...

1) G. Loomis GL2

2) E21 Carrot

So..

1) Airrus Matrix

2) Powell Max

3) G. Loomis GL2

4) E21 Carrot

Or any other top rec's under $200 in price...

There is no reason to look at Loomis's unless it's a IMX or GLX.  It seems like the GL2 and GL3 models are just not worth it.  You can get better rods for the same price or a similar rod for cheaper.  

I would cross the G. Loomis GL2 off of your list

that is a sick deal on the avid!!! by the way you can get carrots on Ebay New Shipped for around 115.

So is the Avid deal at $129 new too good to turn down compared to the Carrot and Powell?

As you can see I am having a hard time making up my mind

I own both an avid and carrot. I like them both but an Avid for 130 is a steal in my opinion. I am having a hard time not ordering one myself...

its really hard. they both are really sensitive. the carrot is super light. My carrot is a 7'6" heavy that feels like a medium. Given the heavy action I wanted a rod as light as I could get. Having said that...for that price I would go avid. I am gonna order one too...thanks to you!!!

So... I went with the Avid; 7' med/fast for $129 at ***.com thanks for the advice.  I have seen so many great reviews on this board for the Avid that I know it will pair nicely with the Shimano Chronarch mg51

Thanks again

so are you a lefty? you'll enjoy the avid. its a sweet rod!

I am a righty that prefers left hand reels...  don't like all that hand switching when casting and reeling on a right hand set up.  Just my preference.

You made a good choice.  Sometimes it just helps to talk things out.

I hope the new combo treats you well.