Sign in to follow this  
green

tierra or Soron stx

im looking for a new reel and i have been looking into the soron stx and the tierra, i am looking for some imput on which one to choose. or if you have any other reel selections that i may like better. thanks

When I was buying a new spinning reel this winter, I narrowed my search down to these two reels.  From the information I gathered, both are very good reels.  I think the soron might be built a little more sturdy and the tierra is a bit smoother.  I ended up with the Tierra and like it a lot.  

I have not tried the Tierra with mono yet.  I have it spooled with 20# powerpro.  I also plan to spool the spare with 6# yo zuri ultra soft.  It works great with the braid so far.

personally..... i tried the tierra...

it was ok at best.... i will say that the drag was very smooth....

but, in the end, i ended up swapping it for a saros....

never looked back, and its about the same price...

just can't match a shimano....

thats my input.......go saros..........all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Abu swapped my cardinal 804 for a soron, I see no difference in the 2 reels and the reel has done a great job for me, very smooth too.

The saros a fine reel and matches up to the cardinal, no better, no worse.  As far as I'm concerned the saros is entry level for shimano, anything less is crap.  I have a stradic fi, very fine reel but I never use it, reason being shimano customer service is terrible and I use my equipment under harsh conditions.

Shimano says all their reels are suitable for saltwater but if you go on their website that isn't the case, only their saltwater reels, ( thunnus, baitrunner, spheros, sargossa) say that they are approved for saltwater.  Shimano is notorious for trying to beat you out of your warranty, 50% over rated and 25% over priced.

I will say their conventional saltwater line up up is top notch, hard to beat a torium or tld and that's entry level.

d**n, where's that popcorn smilie.

I'm gonna sit back and watch this for awhile.

I've got a Tierra spooled with 17 lb mono for stripers and blues.  I'll probably put some braid on the spare spool.  I like the Tierra considerably better than my older Shimano Symetres that I have, but they aren't really in the same price bracket.  My buddy just bought a Saros and I really like the feel of that reel.  Very smooth for the price range.  I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Sorry, no experience with the Soron ;)

I don't have a Tierra or Soron but my brother has the Soron 10 and I tried it over the weekend and it is a very smooth reel. He has braid on it and it wasn't a problem at all but the biggest fish he caught was 2lbs and really didn't put any strain on the reel at all.

First time out with my soron 4000 series caugh an 18# snook, same as the cardinal 804.....no problem.

Abu swapped my cardinal 804 for a soron, I see no difference in the 2 reels and the reel has done a great job for me, very smooth too.

The saros a fine reel and matches up to the cardinal, no better, no worse. As far as I'm concerned the saros is entry level for shimano, anything less is crap. I have a stradic fi, very fine reel but I never use it, reason being shimano customer service is terrible and I use my equipment under harsh conditions.

Shimano says all their reels are suitable for saltwater but if you go on their website that isn't the case, only their saltwater reels, ( thunnus, baitrunner, spheros, sargossa) say that they are approved for saltwater. Shimano is notorious for trying to beat you out of your warranty, 50% over rated and 25% over priced.

I will say their conventional saltwater line up up is top notch, hard to beat a torium or tld and that's entry level.

Your comments are uncalled for and untrue. If you have issues,

deal with Shimano directly, Bantam1 here at BassResource or

take it somewhere else. This Forum will not be used as a soapbox

to bash companies and especially those we are involved with.

-Kent  a.k.a roadwarrior

Global Moderator

Shimano says all their reels are suitable for saltwater but if you go on their website that isn't the case

huh? contradicting statement Did a particular employee tell you personally that they were all good for salt? The website IS Shimano.

and...

Not defending the company because they are a affiliated with BassResource,....that might have weight with Glenn, but not with me. I condone or condemn a company based on my personal experience and by the experiences of my friends. Glenn counts on his mods giving their honest opinions, no favoritism here. In my own personal experiences and the few instances I've read about on the board, their customer service has been stellar,...or should I say "Stella" hehe

Right down to the fact that they have a dedicated employee on the best known website,...just to address your concerns!!

I believe it was KU_Bassmaster that posted about his experiences with them and I ended up buying a calcutta because of it.

Just my .02 based on my experiences.

Now,...back on topic, I have not used a soron.  I DO own a Tierra and wouldn't trade it for anything in it's price range.  I've suggested this reel to quite a few members and friends and have not heard a single negative comment yet.  It's bulletproof, tight, eye appealing, smooth, light and the drag is top notch.  The finish is unscratchable also.  LOTS of metal parts, very little, if any, plastic.  I like that personally, as long as you can keep it light.  A great reel for the price range.

Come on, RW, lighten up.  I've seen worse reviews about other brands and you were nowhere around to do anything about those.  AFAIK, this is a forum about reels - good or bad.  I didn't know Shimano was paying Glenn to keep negative opinions off the boards.  

LOL....what a surprise.  ;)  

(ok, now before we get all bent, what I meant by that was... I didn't know Shimano had a controlling interest here, but I SHOULD have known or at least guessed it. duh!)

I don't use spinning reels much, only own one, but it's a Tierra. I got it for $96 new off ebay and love it. Sorry can't say anything about the Soron.