Sign in to follow this  
green

what lb

what lb test braid should i buy for general bass fishing...i was thinking 8 lb but im not sure... let me know what you think

That depends. What type of setup are you using? if you're using spinning gear then a lighter line like 8lb. probably is fine. But if you're using a baitcaster, 12 lb. is the lowest I go.

I've been using 8# test in my baitcast set up for about a year.  I'm not sure what the difference is in using 8# in spinning and 12# for casting.  What is the reasoning for this?

mainly, what size fuego do you own......

braid gets pricey to say the least......

i would say personally use a 12lb equivelant, minimum...

i made the switch to braid a few months back myself....i use a saros 3000......it holds 140 yds of 10# line.....so i went with 40# suffix braid (it has the 10# dia. equivelant).....so i can roughly hold 140 yds of this stuff...it works great, a little overkill in my mind for the bass i catch, but then again...i fish the salt with it as well!!

*note, i have had probs in the past with smaller dia. braids digging into itself on the spool.....the larger braid along with an extremely tight spooling of it solved the problem..

i own a 2000 , and i wont be doing any salt water fishing unfortunatly due to me living in michigan

what lb test braid should i buy for general bass fishing...i was thinking 8 lb but im not sure... let me know what you think

I just spooled my sustain 2500 with 20lb powerpro and its awesome. was out today and it felt great.  two thumbs up to power pro.

if you own a 2000...

i would say, a 20lb braid would be good...

the smaller dia. will allow for more than enough line on your spool, and the 20lb braid will resist the line dig better than any smaller dia.

just a tip.... spool it very tightly to resist the "dig"..

what i did was spool it as usual, then went to an open area and tied off on a tree......walked all the line out, then reeled it in while walking towards it with almost a full bend in my rod......that'll keep it from locking itself up!!

ha thats a good idea... do you fill the spool with just the braid or do you use a backing line, tape etc.

lots of people use a mono backer so it won't slip on the spool......

personally i use a small piece of electrical or gorilla tape perfectly wrapped around the bare spool....then line up as usual.  the "tackiness and squish" of the tape will prevent all slipping of the line, and you don't have to mess with extra knots on your already small 2000 spool.

If you are going with braid I would use 15 pound test. Casting reels call for braid of at least 8 pound diameter though, so usually around 30 pound test.

does the tape leave any residue on you spool when you take it off?

I use athletic tape on mine, no residue or any side effects.

20 lb. minimum for braid.

about the residue.....

ya ... over time it will, but its very easy to remove if you want to switch back to mono.. just take the spool off and warm water and soap usually does the trick....if its on there a really long time...try goo-gone...

just be sure to thoroughly clean the goo-gone off if you use that method.

no prob my man......

thats why this site is so great....

cause trust me, others in here know alot more than i probably ever will!!

....i want all their knowledge as well ;)

I use nothing but braid, freshwater too, I'd never go back to mono.  I use 15# for high banked canals, and 10# for pond fishing.  In the long run I think it's cheaper, have had no need to respool in 2 years.