Sign in to follow this  
sightfisher

Baitcasting wannabe needs first reel advice

I'm a short time lurker on this forum and a first time poster, so please overlook any mistakes I make.

My passion is sightcasting a fly rod in SW shallows/flats for reds on the Texas coast but would like to put together a BCing setup for blindcasting 3/8-5/8 oz top waters when the 'tailers' disappear. Based mostly on web reviews, I was thinking of buying an Abu Garcia Revo Inshore until I came across Micro's post here a while back pointing out the Inshore doesn't cast light baits very well. If y'all pretty much agree with that, what should other reels should I take a look at?

That inshore will cast those topwaters about a mile or two on the right rod. Falcon 8' outasight. Depends if you are wading or on a boat deck with that much rod.

I'm going to guess that micro doesn't consider 3/8-5/8 oz a light bait.  I don't have that particular revo but the 3 different revo's I had, would handle those weight baits.  

My passion is sightcasting a fly rod in SW shallows/flats for reds on the Texas coast

There aren't many things in life, better than that!!  I love the coast, with a fly rod in hand!

Be sure to match the rod's specs with the reel's specs.

Check out the line weight and the bait size for the rod and balance it with the baitcaster you select.

Add the baitcaster to a graphite rod as graphite has more "feeling" than a glass rod.

For longer casts, go with a 7-foot (or longer) rod.

Anything Shimano in the reel category.  Curados are nice.

Let us know your final setup.  ;)

another reel thats super small easy to handle and palm and can handle those weights and still haul in huge fish is the pflueger summit i have a few and love them for the lightness of the reel,id stay in the shimano,abu,pflueger and some daiwa family though but just go to your lacal fish shop and feel out the reels narrow it down then ask the counter guys whats best for yout type of fishing

another reel thats super small easy to handle and palm and can handle those weights and still haul in huge fish is the pflueger summit i have a few and love them for the lightness of the reel,id stay in the shimano,abu,pflueger and some daiwa family though but just go to your lacal fish shop and feel out the reels narrow it down then ask the counter guys whats best for yout type of fishing

The summit is a nice reel but if you are gonna go Pflueger, go all the way and browse ebay for a Patriarch that can be found around the price of a Summitt

My G Loomis CrossCurrents are as good as fly rods get for the salt, so I thought that I'd get a couple (my wife/best/friend/fishing buddy will insist on it) of their PR844-3C's. Which raises another reel issue....

I could just go with two Revo Inshore's, since the concensus so far is the Inshore will be fine for my needs, but I like to consider a different reel for the second rod. I appreciate the Patriarch advice and will try to take a look at them, but at this point I'm leaning toward either a Chronarch 101BSV or a Curado 201/301E. I'd appreciate y'alls input on this too.

I have used my Diawa Tierra on a St. Croix medium fast 6'6" triumph for reds over here in Florida.  Works great for lighter tackle.  I also use a Shimano Calcutta 200b with 7' Teramar MH/EF rod for swim baits and larger tackle.  Both seem to be great inshore setups.  I will say for the money the Tierra is awesome.