Sign in to follow this  
kwr73

Shimano Symetre 2500FI

Does anyone know where I can get a new one? I Googled it, but was admittedly too lazy to search past the first page.

Thanks

i dont think theres a place that doesnt sell that reel.

skunked_again and bass-brat, the FI was the previous-generation symetre.

kwr73, i only see the FJs now but i'm sure if you posted in the flea market board here, you'll be able to find one as they were extremely popular. just out of curiosity, why do you want the FI instead of the newer FJ?

Frank - Not necessarily set on the FI, someone had just recommended it. If the newer FJ is just as good, I may get it instead.

kwr73,

i'd go for the symetre FJ...it's a great reel and better than the FI version with the addition of the "propulsion" spool lip and machined aluminum handle (versus cast). the only drawback is the $20 price increase and you no longer get a free spare spool included in the box.

The Symetre FJ is an awesome reel and quite a bit better then the FI.

Later, ;)

Go to DICKs Sporting Goods and watch their reels at the end of the season and at the beginning. I have picked up 2 - Symmetres FI on sale for $29 a piece plus I had a scorecard discount. Then I picked up 2 - Quantum Energy Baitcast reels for $69 and $79. Originally the $179 models. They have the best deals when you can catch them. But I have 3 stores within 15 miles of me to jump around to.

i dont know enough about the FI's and FJ's to know whats current and what isnt. there are 4 of the FI's on ebay going cheap. you might give that a look.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=Symetre+2500FI+&_sacat=See-All-Categories

The Symetre FJ is an awesome reel and quite a bit better then the FI

Wow! I totally 100% disagree.

I recommend either watching the flea market here, or continually checking with ebay. You might want to check out the Sahara, nearly identical to the older FI and is $79.

;)

The Shimano Symetre 2500FJ has been significantly improved

verses previous models:

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/products/reels/spinning/Symetre_FI.html

8-)

The Symetre FJ is an awesome reel and quite a bit better then the FI

Wow! I totally 100% disagree.

I recommend either watching the flea market here, or continually checking with ebay. You might want to check out the Sahara, nearly identical to the older FI and is $79.

;)

Just the new one piece bail alone is a major improvement over the FI.

Later, ;)

I never had an issue with the bail on the FI. And I had a new 2500 FJ, returned it, as the 'improvements', to me, weren't sufficient for the price, and wasn't as smooth as one would might expect. My FI is more than sufficient and ridiculously smooth.

The Sahara is still the better deal.

I never had an issue with the bail on the FI. And I had a new 2500 FJ, returned it, as the 'improvements', to me, weren't sufficient for the price, and wasn't as smooth as one would might expect. My FI is more than sufficient and ridiculously smooth.

The Sahara is still the better deal.

You should have returned the FJ for exchange.

The Shimano Symetre 2500FJ has been significantly improved

verses previous models:

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/products/reels/spinning/Symetre_FI.html

Hate to do this to you RW, but.....HOGWASH!  ;D I have 3 of the original Symetres (before the FI or FJ baloney) and they are fantastic reels. Define "significant" to me, please? And is that compared to what, specifically?

8-)

Specifically:

Propulsion Line Management System: Propulsion Spool Lip, SR One-Piece Bail Wire, Power Roller III, Redesigned Bail Trip, S-Arm Cam

Slow Oscillation

SR Concept: SR One-Piece Bail Wire

S A-RB Bearings (Shielded A-RB)

Aluminum Frame (GR on 500 & 1000)

Lightweight Graphite Sideplate & Rotor

Cold Forged Aluminum Spool

S-Concept: S-Rotor, S-Guard, S-Arm Cam

Machined Aluminum Handle

Rubber Handle Grips

Maintenance Port

Fluidrive II

Floating Shaft

Dyna-Balance

Super Stopper II

Repairable Clicker

RW, they only had 3 of the 2500 series, and I picked out what I thought was the smoothest. I still disagree, the improvements they've made are not that big a deal. Wasn't worth the extra $$$. Played with a Sahara, and it was by far, much smoother so I may go with that.

RW, the symetre FI had many of those features as well. the biggest noticeable difference for me is the propulsion line management system...i do notice a slight increase in casting distance and a reduction in line twist. i agree with the other poster that the symetre FI is closer to the sahara FD than the symetre FJ.