I used to keep my rods and reels in my basement,but due to finishing my basement to the garage they go.I'm wondering if the high heat during the summer and the cold in the winter will ruin or affect any of my gear? Would it be a wise investment to get one of those reel cases and store them in that and keep them in the house during winter?I'm more worried about the reels then the rods.

During the offseason i store reels in either small flannel drawstring bags my grandma made me or Crown Royal whiskey bags.  These are then put into reel case I made myself with plans off of the ReelMechanics website.  I took an old Plano tacklebox and cut the trays out of it then lined it with carpet scraps.

HMM guess I'm going to have to become an alcholic for a little while then  ;D . Ok but one more ? do you then still store them in the cold like your garage or bring them indoors? I also have alot of that eggcarton foam stuff in the rafters,could cut that and like you make my own stowbox.

in my opinion, normal levels of heat and cold shouldn't hurt your reels. I have stored mine in the garage for several years. The important thing would be to make sure they are protected from moisture and dust and also protected from accidental damage. If you want to leave them on the rods then you should buy or build a good wall rack or hang them from the ceiling. Make sure that the rods hang without any bowing or it could leave them with a slight bend that won't come out. Obviously, the safest storage would be in a padded case, maybe you have room under a bed, but don't lean them up in a corner if you can avoid it. I suggest that you have them serviced before storing them. This will make sure that the reels are dry inside and have a fresh coat of oil to protect them over the winter. They should then be ready for use next spring.

Mine stay outside in a storage building for the most part, and I have not had any problems.

BTW, I do enjoy Crown on occasion but I bought my bags on ebay. :)

I use plano handgun the larger model cases they have foam in them to keep ur reels safe and stack easy i think i paid 8 bucks for mine .i spray(lite mist) the foam inside with KVD Line and lure.I can fit 9 reels in each one .And you can keep all your reel schematics behind the foam along with w-e tools u use and oil and grease

When I store my reels I service them, then place each in an old sport sock. Like Aaron mentioned I have gutted an old Plano box, and I place all the reels wrapped in it. Doesn't matter so much were you place the box, just that they have the drags backed off, and are protected from bumps and bruises and away from moisture.

I never store my rods (off season) with the reels mounted. I do hang them from the tip tops without reels. Some of the new rod socks and bags have a loop on the end that would be able to hang and protect better.

Just my .02¢

Tight Lines All!!

ksbasser,

You have learned a lot since January, how is the mod job on the other site... 8-)

I keep all my gear in the shed during the summer.  When winter comes I bring all my reels inside and store them in a crate in the corner, with the drags backed off as posted above.  

All rods and reels are stored in my home, in my mancave.

In a drawer where they are out of harm's way.  :)

i've kluged around with different ways but finally settled on these:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0036834120770a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&sort=all&Go.y=0&_D:hasJS=+&Nty=1&hasJS=true&No=0&Ntt=advanced+anglers&N=0&_D:sort=+&_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/search/search-box.jsp.form1&Go.x=0&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

they conveniently keep the all together, padded and protected from scratches and are compact and portable. i have three of them that sit on a shelf in the closet of my fishing room (it's actually a guest bedroom that i've commandeered  ;D).

dsc8318.jpg

I have one of the long skinny Tupperware containers that I use to store the boxes of my reels and they go in them, in the box, under the bed for winter

2221_sm.jpg

Hmm good idea ill take the wifes shoes under the bed put those in the garage and put my reels under the bed in their place. :) i got it all figured it out now guys so thanks,in socks then in original boxes into a container with eggcrate foam.