Sign in to follow this  
bassinbrian

Daiwa zillion

I have the chance to get the "TDZL661MXB"  (M, XF, 6'6") for cheap from  a friend.  My question is will that make a good "finesse" rod?  Will it be sensitive enough for small jigs, alot of small plastics, like tubes and worms? Im going to use it for smallies on a river.  thanks for the help :)

The short answer is, absolutely.

The long version is- I fish a lot of soft plastics and have used everything from GLX's to Legend Elites and some JDM rods mixed in over the years.  To me the Zillion rods will hang with anything out there.  I personally use that same rod (6'6'' M XF) for finesse baits.  It is perfect for lighter weight baits.. jigs, T-rigs, Senkos, Flukes, etc.. it fishes light "feel" baits like a dream.  If you can get that rod at a good price, then I'd highly recommend you try it out.  I think you will find it ideal.  

I would say that rod is a broomstick.

Then you must be sweeping your floor with EXTREMELY sensitive brooms.  Do you feel every speck of dust you sweep over?

:)

Then you must be sweeping your floor with EXTREMELY sensitive brooms. Do you feel every speck of dust you sweep over?

Not an indictment of it's sensitivity.  M-XF can be a bit stiff, plus I've heard (still haven't handled a Zillion rod) that the Zillions are a bit under-rated in terms of power.

Hmmm, don't know about the under rated thing about the Zillion rods, I have the 6'9" MH & it feels more like a heavy action rod.  

If anything that 6'6" MXF would feel more like a MH, which I've had a chance to handle before I bought the 6'9" MH.  If you're going to use 1/4 oz or heavier lures, make sure that that 1/4 oz lure is more dense so it casts better.  Don't use a 1/4 oz lure like a jerkbait or spinnerbait those lures have wind resistance & will not cast as well as a jighead & worm combo...less wind resistance.  

Hmmm, don't know about the under rated thing about the Zillion rods, I have the 6'9" MH & it feels more like a heavy action rod.

I'm pretty sure that's what Burley meant. I have heard the same thing about Zillions.

Then you must be sweeping your floor with EXTREMELY sensitive brooms.  Do you feel every speck of dust you sweep over?

Not an indictment of it's sensitivity.  M-XF can be a bit stiff, plus I've heard (still haven't handled a Zillion rod) that the Zillions are a bit under-rated in terms of power.

Fair enough...

And you're correct.  I have a 6'9" MH and it's definitely more of a heavy power.

Thanks for all the response, ill give it a try.  What would you recmmond if this rod doesnt work out? Around the $200 price range.

The medium/X-fast Zillion is the rod that most anglers would pick if they handled the entire line. Stout for a medium, but not more than your average medium heavy.  Very light and crisp.   It's the medium-heavy models on up that start getting to be pool cues.  

Would that make a good topwater rod? for like poppers and walk the dog type baits, maybe even a buzzbait?

Oh and i got a Chronarch 101BSV for it to, it was on closeout for the new model coming in so i got it for a fair price.  Will that reel work for what i need or do you recommend something else?

Would that make a good topwater rod? for like poppers and walk the dog type baits, maybe even a buzzbait?

No, too stiff

Alright, I've decided to give it a try and have been using it quite a bit lately.  Seems to feel quite well with light jigs, tubes and etc.  I haven't had really any problems.  Been trying to cast unweighted plastics with a fair amount of success.  I'm not a pro at a baitcaster yet but I'm almost wondering if the reel is hindering me a little? I know its much easier on a spinning reel but when I'm on the river i only get 1 rod to wade in the river with.