Sign in to follow this  
GoReds

Advice on buying a fishing scale?

I caught a nice largemouth this past weekend and it's killing me not knowing the exact weight (for bragging purposes to my dad).  I'm looking to buy a fishing scale, can anyone recommend one?

I've been really happy with the XTools scale. It's a little more, but seems to grip fish good and the weight seems to be more accurate than some of the others I have bought in the past.

I too have the Xtools scale and really like it I bought the model that keeps a running tally for culling fish and it is one of the best purchases I have made.

I bought the berkely TEC scale without the culling kit and I love it. It measures down to 1/8th of a pound and it will store weights and everything just like the culling kit but for 20ish dollars less. It runs around 50 bucks but i really like it..

I bought the berkely TEC scale without the culling kit and I love it. It measures down to 1/8th of a pound and it will store weights and everything just like the culling kit but for 20ish dollars less. It runs around 50 bucks but i really like it..

X2

Comes with a case and reads from either side.  $49.99 from *** and Amazon.  Free shipping at Amazon and for another penney you get the same deal at ***.

Shortbasser

A scale is a horrible investment, and will probably ruin a great run of monster fish you have been catching!  :)

But seriously, a good scale should be with you at all times.  Looks are VERY deceiving, and pictures never tell the true story.  years ago, i carried a Chatillion, which was rather pricey, but very consistent.  I carry a similar spring type scale these days, and I've verified its accuracy.  I don't have a ton of faith in the cheaper digital scales, but I know more than a few guys that have the X-Tools scale, and they seem pretty accurate.

I use the $25 Berkley scale from BPS and it is pretty accurate!

I like the XTools scale. It holds fish much better than I expected. It stores in my tackle bag nicely, but is also small enough to fit in the pocket of my cargo shorts if if I'm shore fishing. It also floats; which is a little extra insurance for when you are on the water.

I just finally got a fish scale and am wondering where is the best place to put the hook to weigh the fish.  Place least likely to hurt it that is.

Thanks, :)

This may not help you, but I have The Fish Grip (from Cabelas..excellent buy).  It has a hole specifically for the hook.

What scale did you go with and what do you think?  I'm still reading reviews and trying to determine which one to buy.

I use an X-tools and like it a lot.  Very accurate and can take a beating-I have accidently dropped mine twice but have checked afterwards both times for accuracy. So far, so good.

I agree with Robert. Save up your money and get the Boga Grip. I've purchased many scales, and they all were accurate for a while, then  they go haywire.

Falcon