Sign in to follow this  
Chris at Tech

St Croix spinning MXF rods for hard jerkbaits?

For anyone who has fished any of the St Croix MXF spinning rods, how any input on how they would do fishing hard jerkbaits like X-raps and Pointers?

Thanks

Chris

Well...I don't know, but I own several St. Croix Avid rods, plus two

Legend Elite. I HIGHLY recommend the AVC66MF for jerkbaits

and topwater.

8-)

For anyone who has fished any of the St Croix MXF spinning rods, how any input on how they would do fishing hard jerkbaits like X-raps and Pointers?

Thanks

Chris

i have the mojo,the legend elite and legend tournament spinning in m/f,ml/f and they all perform great,cant go wrong with any of those rods imo.

Thanks

Chris

I think the MXF would be a great finesse rod. Not sure if it would be the best jerkbait rod, but I'm sure you could make it work.

I have a LE70MF that works nicely with jerkbaits... and most other stuff that I fish with.  :o

and topwater.

8-)

X2, got this rod this weekend and it is just absolutely an amazing rod.  I used it for some jerkbaits and top water as well as some 1/4oz swim jigs and 1/4oz spinner baits.

Later, :o

X2, got this rod this weekend and it is just absolutely an amazing rod.  I used it for some jerkbaits and top water as well as some 1/4oz swim jigs and 1/4oz spinner baits.

Later, :o

and topwater.

8-)

I already have this rod :)

But truth be told, I'm more comfortable fishing hard jerkbaits with a spinning combo.

I use the 6' 9" MLXF for all my jerkbait fishing (don't typically use bigger than #7, mostly #5 raps).  I like the way this rod casts, further than any other rod I have owned.  I actually own two now, one is spinning, the other casting.........built on the same blank.  St. Croix calls it a "drop shot" rod, but man its awesome for small jerks and topwaters too.

Matt

I don't use spinning for jerkbaits, since I generally go with larger baits, but I do use a AVC62MXF for hard jerks and topwater plugs.  If I was a little taller, the same rod in a 6'6" would probably work too.  I like the tip recovery speed of an XF rod for any kind of twitch/sweep type retrieve.