Sign in to follow this  
husonfirst.

Why no drag clicky when fish takes line on BC?

This may be a dumb question but I'm going to ask anyways.  Why don't baitcasters' drag click when a fish runs?

as to a spinning reel right,cause on a spinning reel the drag is on the spool and the spool is what is spinning on the reel,on a baitcaster the spool spins when a fish is peeling drag but the drag on a b.c is on the handle shaft attached to the anti-reverse bearing therefor the drag star (where clicker is loacated) doesnt spin so no noise.make sense??? :o

some reels do but most of the low profile reels i have used don't. On some round reels there is an option to let it take line and click more for if you are using livebait and want to let the line go out and hear you have a fish

i dont believe the toro clicks when the drag is engaged... im gonna guess its like my round 6600CB's baitclicker more like an alarm when a fish is on.

i have a old garcia 3000 that clicks when a fish takes out line i like it actully

Any 6000 series Abu Ambassadeur has this feature. i.e.: 6500C. Unfortunately, the 5000 series don't have it.

basically because there is no easy way to do it. on a spinning reel, the spool doesn't spin during the cast or the retrieve, making it easy to put a clicker mechanism for when the spool does turn like when the drag is being pulled. on baitcasting reels, the spool spins during both the cast and the retrieve. a clicker mechanism would have to be designed in such a way as to be completely disengaged during the cast otherwise it would impede casting distance. the clicker would also have to be engineered in such a way as to only click on the retrieve when the line is going out and not in.

Spinners have a spring loaded latch to keep the spool tight when casting.  When the drag is applied you hear it clicking relative to the drag washers tension.  BC's (mostly) use just the drag washers as the spool is naturally free spinning in the cast thus no need to click down to stop.  There is a click setting on most conventional SW rells so you can hear when a strike occurs, this is a different mechanism.