Sign in to follow this  
MarauderYak

Skeet Reese rods

I managed to get a look at the new Tessera Skeet Reese rods.  I don't want to say too much about them because I don't want to take a chance on getting anyone in trouble.  Let's say they'll be hard to miss.  I bet they'll be a big hit, but not everyone is going to love them (kinda like Skeet).

i wonder how they will do and sell knowing that its an eagle claw??i still cant wait to see what they look like but i cant see or get why they would put a 80-$90 tag on a eagle claw :-? ,do you know what kind of components they used?

Eagle Claw is going to try & upgrade their image & product line.  You heard about their new hooks?  They aren't using the Eagle Claw name on their new premium products.

In the long run their success with these new lines is going to depend on how good the rods/hooks are.  The rods aren't using Fuji guides, but that's not a big deal to me.  They aren't on the super light side since they have T-Glass in them, but I think they chose a good look for them.  I'm think they're going to be pretty successfull.

Is it Wright&Mcgill or Eagle claw? I realize the relation btween the two companies, but they are different. It's like a Honda/Acura or Nissan/Infinity. Am I wrong? W&M make some very good rods. It may not be a bad price for that rod actually.

Is it Wright&Mcgill or Eagle claw? I realize the relation btween the two companies, but they are different. It's like a Honda/Acura or Nissan/Infinity. Am I wrong? W&M make some very good rods. It may not be a bad price for that rod actually.

Technically W&M, but it really doesn't matter.  It's the same thing.  It's like the difference between Pflueger & Shakespeare.  It's now two brand names within the same company.

If I had to bet, I'd say these rods are going to be close to the Mojo rods in popularity.  You'll see a lot more of them than you do the Skeet Reese reel.

Technically W&M, but it really doesn't matter. It's the same thing. It's like the difference between Pflueger & Shakespeare. It's now two brand names within the same company.

If I had to bet, I'd say these rods are going to be close to the Mojo rods in popularity. You'll see a lot more of them than you do the Skeet Reese reel.

Well actually it does matter,and it's not the same thing.It was like my honda/acura reference. They are 2 different brands but honda owns acura. But acuras are much nicer. The same could apply in this situation. I don't think they are going to crank out a bunch of eagle claw rods and slap W&M Skeet Reese superduper ultra cool sticker on them. W&M makes some really good inshore saltwater rods. And they are nothing like the eagle claw rods you get a wal-mart in a $30 combo.       Basically what I'm getting at is you are not getting an Eagle Claw. What you are getting is a W&M. Which happens to make pretty good rods.

Ike's rods are not very expensive, either.  

Ike's rods are not very expensive, either.

I wish there was a little more choice with these rods on power/action/length...they look nice

I'm sure that it will be a good quality product.  Why else would Skeet switch from Lamiglas, who he has been with since day 1, to W&M without promise of it being a quality rod line.  If it was going to be a low grade line I'm sure Lamiglas could have marketed a "Skeet Reese" line that was more of a value line.  Skeet has worked too hard on his sponsor portfolio and image to step out that far on a limb without doing some research. JMHO

I personally am surprised he didn't end up running the Lucky Craft line of rods.

I'm sure that it will be a good quality product. Why else would Skeet switch from Lamiglas, who he has been with since day 1, to W&M without promise of it being a quality rod line. If it was going to be a low grade line I'm sure Lamiglas could have marketed a "Skeet Reese" line that was more of a value line. Skeet has worked too hard on his sponsor portfolio and image to step out that far on a limb without doing some research. JMHO

I personally am surprised he didn't end up running the Lucky Craft line of rods.

Follow the money bro. W&M is probably paying a premium to sponsor skeet.

If you are buying a rod because it's a Skeet Reese rod... are you really going to care who made it? No.

If you are making a rod to compete with KVD rods, Ike rods, etc - do you need to price comparibly? Yes - same market. KVD rods are more - but they do use fuji components and hey.. it's KVD - you can't discount KVD! ;D

one thing abot them is their price, about $90.00.

This is very smart to target this price point. The yellow and black contrast kind of hurts my eyes, but I think I will look into the crankbait rods.  $90 is easier to part with once there is more information available on them.