Sign in to follow this  
wees

Need help choosing bait caster

Hey do you guys have a recommendation for a reel that would work well with the 6'6" worm/jig MH rod xml rod (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0053033122637a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all_NYR&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&sort=all&Go.y=0&_D%3AhasJS=+&Nty=1&hasJS=true&nyr=1&Ne=2510&Ntt=xml+casting&N=3355&_D%3Asort=+&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&Go.x=0&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1) from cabelas? I'm kinda on a tight budget so I'm looking for something under $100. Are the Cabela-branded reels any good? The warranties they have *sound* good but do they give you a hard time if you actually have an issue?

I need something that's good for a beginner. I had a BC for about a month before this (it ended up at the bottom of a lake) so I'm not a total newb but I did get backlash every now and then. And I think I'm going to use braided line this time instead of fluoro. Any suggestions or tips? Should i expect more backlash with braid?

The Cabelas Prodigy is a pretty good B/C and possibly still on sale for $75 normally $100. It's made by Daiwa and I actually have one myself with 20# Fireline Braid on it and it works just fine.

I just picked up the same rod as well and thought it was a MH but label said H and wrote Cabelas and they wrote back and said it is indeed a MH as stated on the blank and that the label was incorrect.

Shimano Citica

If you browse through the last 20 pages or so of this section,

you will find suggestions for just about every reel that is out

there around your pricing point.

8-)

Quantum or the revo s the... by the way citica's are junk compared to revo's  ;D