Sign in to follow this  
preemptive strike

need some rod help

I was fishing yesterday with my Bass Pro Extreme 6'6" M spinning rod and after a few casts my rod tip snapped off. It was about four inches that snapped off. Not sure why this happened but anyway this has now gotten me to look for a new rod. I was looking at the Shimano rods and the St. Croix rods and a few others but its hard for me to compare them because some say IM8 some say 60 million modulus and I'm not sure how to compare them. The reel I have is a Stradic 2500, one of the newer ones. I would like to spend under $180-200 and I was just having trouble picking out a rod. The rod would be spinning and a rod to use for general purpose. Also, would a fast or x-fast action be better? I was confused on that too. The rod I was looking at most was the Compre but I'm not sure how good of a rod that is. Thank you for your help.

First of all, BPS will replace your rod, so get that done first.

For another, I would suggest the St. Croix Avid AVS68MXF.

8-)

If you have a professional tackle shop that sells the Shimano brand please visit and ask questions.

Personally, I like the graphite 6'6" Medium Heavy spinning rods as you can use if for many applications.

You can go up in quality for more money so you have many choices.

I suggest waiting for the ICAST report on the new rods as you may find something you like that is being introduced this year.

As for the rod tip, you can replace the tip easily by gluing a new tip on what is left of your rod and just fish it.

If you think it is a manufacturer's defect, take it back for a new rod.  ;)

depending on how long you've had it, BPS will replace it, and sometimes it doesn't matter how old the rod is, but that depends on your local store.  The Extremes are nice, the Pro Qualifier is better and only $20 more when on sale.  The Avid is always a good choice

Well, I have heard good things about all those rods. Especially the avid series. I called BPS and they said I may need a receipt to get a new rod. But I bought it online and it is not available anymore. So maybe they can do it without a receipt. We'll see.

Does anyone have any input on the shimano rods? I was looking at the compre but the crucial looked nice too- except the lure specific rods confused me because i wanted a general purpose rod. Also, for general purpose, would M or MH power and fast or extra fast action be better? Thanks again.

Well, thank you everyone for your input. I have looked at all the rods you have mentioned and I think I am going to get an Avid Medium power, fast action spinning rod. I have heard many great things about these rods. Only thing left is the length. probably over 50% of my fishing is done with senkos, but would still like this to be a good all-around rod. would 7' or 6'6 be a better choice? thank you!

I'd reconsider looking at the crucial line again.  As for the confusion, there are two basic spinning types: Their drop shot spinning rods, which have split grips and their regular spinning rods which have full cork grips. Their spinning rods for crankbaits also sport full grips I think.

However, since you mentioned that you fish mostly senkos but still want an "all arounder,"

I believe that you will want to go with this Crucial model:

CRS66MH - This is a spinning rod that is 6'6" with a medium heavy power and a fast action. Shimano says it is suitable for

Soft jerkbaits, plastic worms and

grubs, Split shot, light Carolina rigs, tubes, Texas

rigs and Senkos® and small jigs.

I that is as all around as you can get. ;)

the longer the rod the farther youll get yer bait thrown out there,the shorter youll have more accuracy. also in lengths it has to do with backbone,strength,the load/action.but for general fishing what your doing id go 6'6" and med is good but mh is an all pourpose go to..good for lunkers,topwater,jig n pigs in weed pockets,slop cover.